oc cpu + mem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

colin

In Runtime
if i oc the the cpu do i have to oc the mem also?

opteron 144 and g-skill 2gig pc3200/400

you don't have to oc your ram, you can underclock it so it doesnt work as fast as the cpu, thats the whole problem with it... thats what the whole divider is, you have your ram running at a fraction of your cpu's speed

thats what i thought after reading the sticky. just making sure i got it right.
i will probaly wait till i understand ths more right now its so confusing.dont want screw it up

thanks
colin
MysticRose said:
Yup.

Because if you dont OC your RAM, then the increase in the FSB speed of your CPU is useless.

NosBoost300 said:
you don't have to oc your ram, you can underclock it so it doesnt work as fast as the cpu, thats the whole problem with it... thats what the whole divider is, you have your ram running at a fraction of your cpu's speed

can oc cpu and leave the ram alone? since it will be slower anyways

i'm lost thanks though

colin

Yup.

Because if you dont OC your RAM, then the increase in the FSB speed of your CPU is useless.

completely false if that where the case we would still all be using 500mhz processors. the main point of overclocking the way i see it isn't about increasing memory bandwidth it is about increasing cpu clock frequency, hence the term overclocking. increased memory speed is just a bonus. the reason we push the FSB is because unless you have an FX series processor it is the ONLY way of overclocking the processor. true that if you don't overclock the memory with the processor you don't take full advantage of the performance boost but that doesn't make it pointless.

oh so lets say you have ur FSB at 300 does that mean like you set the divider to 3 or watever and set the ram to 100? is that how it works? im new to OCing so plz bare with me.

ok let me get this right, HTT Frequency Settings are 200mhz X 9 to get 1.8

To oc all I have to do is raise my htt freq and lower my divider.
Would it work better leaving my divder 9 or swithing to 4?

If it dont boot, up the cpu voltage? or try oc my ram?

my temps for my cpu are 28 c at idle air cooling only
measured by epox probe

I have 1 side fan 2 front and 2 back plus
a thermallake cpu cooler, chipset fan
and one on the rear of my mb

think 2.4 is possible

you are confusing dividers with the cpu multiplier. it is the cpu multiplier multiplied by the FSB that gives clock speed. a divider is a ratio that alters the speed of the memory otherwise the memory would just overclock exactly with the FSB. e.g. a 9:10 divider means the ram speed is the FSB divide by 10 multiply by 9 for instance if the FSB is 300mhz using this divider memory speed would be 270mhz rather than 300mhz.

So, if i'm having a FSB speed of 300, and a normal PC 4000 RAM ( 250 ), i will need a divider of 5:6 so that i dont have to OC the speed of my RAM.

Is that right ?

How is using the divider compared to OC the RAM speed itself ? Will the divider produce as much heat ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom