Beat this system

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoHBoY

Solid State Member
I'm pretty sure you people can just wanted to grab your attention :D

If anyone can bless me with some sweet knowledge I would be extremely grateful

Got my eye on some stuff but am stuck on others, pc hardware side of things ain't my forte

Sorry to go on here's what I got thus far mmm or maybe not ? :

Processor
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+ (939 Pin)
319.95 including VAT
272.30 excluding VAT
Info Here

Motherboard
Abit Fatal1ty AN8 SLI PCI-E (Socket 939)
119.85 including VAT
102.00 excluding VAT
Info Here

Hard Drive
Western Digital Raptor SATA/150 74GB 10000RPM
115.15 including VAT
98.00 excluding VAT
Info Here

Memory
Patriot Dual Channel 1GB PC3200+ XBLK DDR (2x512MB) Extreme Bandwidth / Extreme Low Latency Kit
139.83 including VAT
119.00 excluding VAT
Info Here

Cooling
Case
Keyboard + Mouse
Monitor
GFX Card

Any suggestions on what I chose go right ahead

As for the others....

GFX Card I got no idea, looking to spend about 300

Keyboard and Mouse

Do I go for wireless or stay with the trusty wire ?

I can't seem to find a decent KB/Mouse over my intelli optical 1 with it's 4 Button Wheel etc plus don't wanna get annoyed changing the batteries

Lastly all is nothing without a decent Monitor which I really want, tired of CRT slowly boring the desk legs into the room below so wanna go for a flat screen 19"

On this is it all or nothing with the response times, all this is for gaming so I wanna have it as sweet as poss am I generally looking for one around 8ms ?

If you've come this far I applaud and thank you and again really appreciate any responses criticisms you have

Regards
DoH..

Whats with all of those wierd symbols and errors in your post??

I dont have time to read all of this.... how about splitting these questions in different posts???? that way your sure to get answers..

You should also include some links....
Dont know every hardware piece info by memory

Unless you plan on overclocking your system, air cooling should be sufficient.

Also as far as gfx cards go, grab one of the new nvidia 7900's. A 7900gt would be great or even a 7900gtx if you can afford it.

If you only want a mid-high range gfx card, pick up the nvidia 7600

look at the 7900gt/gtx for the graphics card. air cooling will be fine for the processor trust me on that. i live in Australia and summer is still going (not officially but the thermometer says so :p) and i have had my computer running in something near 40 degree weather using the cooler that came with the processor and it was fine. if you would be interested in learning about overclocking you could save yourself a lot of money by getting an Opteron 165 instead of the X2 4400+. most reports say that the majority of these things can overclock past the speeds of an FX-60.

Processor: if your going to overclock go with the
Opteron 165 in which case you get the DFI Lanparty SLi-DR ( or just the Ultra-D if your not SLi'ng) mobo.

If not
Go with the 4400+ or even the 4600+

Definitely a eVGA Geforece 7900GT/X or even BFG

in my opinion dont risk 2800rpm for a lot more storage

try a dual channel 2GB DDR Ram

I really like the ThermalTake Silver Kandalf, its light, sufficient cooling ( 4 fans), sexy, and has A LOT of room for upgrades, 7 expansion slots, and like 11 bays.

go with either the Razer Diamondback mouse, or the G5 laser logitech, or the MX 518 Logitech mouse, and definitely get Wired. As for keyboard i dont think you need anything special but if you want you can go with that new microsoft i think or is it logitech with that flip open led display screen.

Get a monitor thats 19" or if you want 20" w/e size u like, but make sure it has good contrast ratio, definitely below 8ms response time. and make sure the lights life is not small. Im getting the Viewsonic thats in my sig, check it out if you want, its pretty nice. and will last for 4.5 years if you leave it on NON STOP for the next 4.5 years.

If you are a n00b with water cooling like me, dont risk it.

Hope this helps, and look around this website as much as you can, its very helpful, last month i didnt know jack, but now im helping other ppl, YAY!

Yeah cheers John

Thanks everyone can't believe response I've had already, sweet :D

Am I on the ball with price ?

Ok so....

I was wondering bout HDD I'm not really needing storage I don't copy music, games etc just basically want a decent gaming rig for once so not worth extra 2800 ?

I don't intend to overclock really but would it be worth me investing in time to learn O/C for the price it would save ?
Might do this in future if not will that Mobo + CPU suffice and as for compatibility what would be the best Memory I hate this had bad experiences in the past

GFX Card is it deffo worth going for a GTX and also with BFG, Gainward, nVidia etc are there huge differences or just shiny brands ?

And Monitor seems sweet and in me price budget hmmm

Cheers again

DoH..

I'm from UK m8 so wanna get it all from UK incase things don't work etc

With GFX is there a huge diff between 256 vs 512 MB ?

The difference really comes in when you're running games at resolutions above 1280*1024, and very high graphic settings, which you'll easily be able to reach with your new machine.

So the 512mb really gives the biggest performance increase in the high resolutions, also you're gonna need 2*1GB Dual Channel RAM if you want to run newer games at their maximum.

- you should definitely reconsider getting a 10k rpm HDD, main reason being, YOU DONT NEED IT, second reason is you are compromising storage space and 3rd being that the higher the RPM on a hard drive the more heat it creates which means you would need a better cooling system.

-you should definitely learn how to OC, the Opteron 165 costs about $400 CDN and the FX-60 costs about $1300 CDN, and ppl who know what they are doing can OC the opty PAST the FX-60. so as you can see it is very much worth it. But be sure that you have a stable MOtherboard, like the one i suggested ( the DFI ), and good ram, try not to get 'Value' ram, in fact DONT get 'Value' ram and try to lean towards the Companies G.SKill, OCZ, Corsair, and Crucial, they are the best ones.

-well the good thing about eVGA is that it has a LifeTime Warranty, and a program called Step up, which means that if you buy their Video card, and you want to upgrade, you send them the card, and they will subtract the value of the card you sent them ( the value = how much you paid for it ) from the value of the card you want, so lets say you want a new G80 series and its $600, and you bought you card for $400, what you do is you send them ur card plus $200 and you get your upgrade.
I think that BFG also has a lifetime warranty but not that step up program. NOt sure bout Gainward though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom