Multipliers......

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonCrafter

Daemon Poster
So, does overclocking a cpus multiplier by half a step (.5) Instead of a whole step really cause trouble with ram?

I ask because I cant up my fx55's multiplier anymore than 13.5. Going to 14 causes it not to post. At 13.5 I get an increase of 2.71 from 2.61. But, at the same time I don't wanna screw with my ram while doing it.

Thanks all.

Ok, I did a little more research. I've read that the best way to overclock would be to lower my multiplier and up the FSB. Sound right?

I also keep reading that temps are not a worry unless I bump the voltage up, but everytime I bump the FSB up, my temp goes up. Hmm.....??

joshd said:
but not by much. if you up the vcore, it REALLY starts to heat up.

Your right, but right now my cpu is idleing at 47*C, so that doesnt leave me a whole lot of room to play..........or does it? lol

47c is already way to much for idle. Generally for idle you want it 35c or under. Mine is close to 47c load

Yeah, but he's also running an FX-55, not an opteron like yourself. Theres a vast difference between those CPUs in terms of heat. I'm pretty sure his is right in the 'norm' area, but I'd do a google search just in case.

Look for my post in this thread:

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97919

Check out that attachment. The way that AMD64's are, when you use a half multi like 13.5 instead of a whole number like 13 or 14, it DOES affect the RAM. It doesn't hurt it, but the RAM runs at a different speed.

Meaning like......say you had your HTT at 250 and your multiplier is at 13......this gives you 3.25GHz CPU (all hypothetical situation here of course) and your RAM is using a 166MHz memory divider which results in it being 203MHz for the RAM.........if you put that multiplier to 13.5 and leave the memory divider the same...your cpu will become 3.375GHz, but your RAM is now 198Mhz regardless of the same HTT, and same divider that you were using before.

It's because of the half multi that it does this. It's just because of the way the AMD64's are.

I suggest you use that program I've attached in the thread I link, it helps for figuring out RAM speeds that you want to try without doing the math and whatnot on your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom