Initializing Test Fire (New Build)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAVOC

Fully Optimized
Well, I've got one component to go. I just need my eVGA 7900GTX which seems won't be available until March 31st. So i've got some time to wait before my new gaming beast is complete.

But, after a few days of slowly building, i've got it ready to install a videocard and go.

So, I popped a stick of ram into the board and fired it up to make sure all was well. It sprang to life without a hitch, but I'm pretty considered with how loud the fans are. I've installed (2) aerocool turbine 2000 extremes, one for rear exhaust and one for front intake. The fans are connected directly to molexes and I decided not to attach them to my motherboard. I was reading somewhere that this is the better way to connect them. The problem is, the fans are running at full RPM and are loud as heck. I'm not using a fan controller in this rig, well, not yet anyway. The one in the rear doesn't seem that loud, but the front intake one is for some reason.

The motherboard i'm using "ASUS A8N32" has 4 connectors for fans on the mobo. It also has something called EZ-Plug which you connect a molex to for more juice to the mobo. Should I, leave the fans connected to molexes or should I connect them to the mobo and allow it to control fan speeds? Or just pick up a fan controller?

One thing I did notice is that the airflow in my case is fantastic. The front intake really sucks a ton of air in and the rear is blowing hard. If I cover the front intake screen, I can feel the change of air flow in the rear. So may-be the noise i'll have to deal with?

What do ya think?

36 Views and no one as advice? Should I plug the fans into the motherboard or buy a fan controller to regulate the fan speed?

hmm. interesting

I would advise that you pick up a cheap fan controller. I have a coolermaster aerogate III, and it works great for controlling the fans and monitoring temperatures. It was only like $20 on newegg when they carried them. I am sure you could probably find a cheaper fan controller somewhere.

Also make sure your fans are compatible for RPM variation. Ive noticed that some fans have a set RPM and can not be changed no matter what fan controller I hook them up too.

I would use Asus Cool N' Quiet to run the fans and PC Probe to see there RPM and alarm settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom