Server Mainboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol.... thow in 4 of the Itay core Opterons for a total of EIGHT CPU's, 16 sticks of DDR400, and your good to go... for only about $20,000

yeah, i admit thats a bit overkill. i myself was looking into getting the same setup after visiting Frys Electronics. but, after i looked up, you'd have to run an OS such as linux for something of those stats right? or am i wrong?

MrZucchiniHead said:
Not the best idea to build a computer off of a server obo cause no Os can recognize more than 1 CPU,

XP Pro can use 2 CPUs, i'm not sure but I think NT4 and 2000 can too.

Well, it is a dream system. It is merely an idea at the moment. I will probably change my mind once I do some more research. (...and after AMD reveals their next punch to Intel's Conroe.)

I think that Windows XP 64bit can recognize more than 2CPUs. I think you also need a 64bit OS to recognize more than 4GB of RAM.

umm, what is this server going to run anyway?

a quad socket 940 mainboard is expensive itself, but you also need 4 X Opterons with 4 way direct connect (800 series, 2 or 1 way won't work on quad boards)

on top of that, you need ECC RAM for socket 940 systems, which is more expensive

and you also need a powerful PSU. there are 4 CPU's in there.

anyway, Windows 2003 will recognise multiple CPU's, and also there should be several Linux OS's that do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom