How do I build a NAS? Network Attached Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepg

In Runtime
I have seen storage drives that attach to a network by a cat5 cable. I figure this is something like the USB and Firewire drives except that it has a network interface. I'd like to kow how to build one or build one that can support more than one drive (as many as possible). Anyone have any good ideas?

You could just scrap together an old pc, and fill it full of hard drives and make it a server that holds many network shared HDDs.

If it is a dedicated storage system (ie - a box with drives in it and a cable jack), you have to connect it up and then talk to it the same as you would a server. Usually there's software included with those dedicated storage systems for handling the setup and administration.

The easiest solution is to just make a PC that is dedicated to holding HDDs, hook it up to the network, and make all the drives shared.

if you have an old xbox tom's hardware had a guide on how to make an old xbox into an NAS storage system, but if you have an old PC it's much better to use that (more hard drives)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom