Getting by with what i have

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgp_nc

Baseband Member
I have wanted to build a new system for some time however with the introduction of such amazing new technology i feel i should wait for prices to drop so i can get the most for my money. So to get by I want to upgrade my computer. So far I've bought a GeForce 6600 AGP card because I do not have PCI Express. Also upgraded to 1.5G pc2700 from 1 gig. And i have a 3.06G pentium 4. Looking for some suggestions on how to get the most performace from my current system because I dont feel like i'm getting all that i can.

pshhhh! you think you're just getting by.

my rig:
P4 1.8ghz no HT
PCI Fx5500 256mb
768mn Pc2100 RAM
40gig hard drive nicknamed tiny
Locked bios and a big ugly dell logo on the side.

and there are worse computers than this on these forums.

well some games like Half Life Source dont play so well on my comp for some reason. Maybe there is a problem with my config but i dont know what it is. I bought my computer in 2003 and all i've upgraded is the GPU from a GeForce ti 4200 128mb to a GeForce 6600 256mb. then i got 512 more memory and that's it. Its pretty good, and i used ad-aware and defrag and cleaned up my hard disk but still seems slugish at times

i have 6600gt and 1gig dual channel ram and half life 2 plays really really well with everything high (but AA and AF off) on 1280X1024 (LCD). since your gpu is not the gt, if you turn some of the things to medium, you should still be able to play it really well.

i have all my settings pretty low but i do play on the 1280x1024 (LCD) resolution. CSS works pretty well for the most part i guess. I'm just really critical of everything. I should consider myself lucky that i bought my computer 3 years ago and for the most part its still considered high performance. i must have bought at a good time. Next time i want to build instead of by though. Another question i have is when i do really large projects in photoshop it runs kind of slow. same with premiere pro 1.5 would upgrading to 2gigs of pc2700 help me. ALso I wanted to know weather or not a m otherboard that came with 184pin pc2700 memory can take anything besides that type of memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom