Athlon-XP Dead? Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
their stable although i gotta admit you got me confused with all those colors could have like it better if you would have just write the voltages number instead (like +5v for example) , theres one thing unclear how did you test the +3.3v exactly? and was it when the pc was powered on? , anyway did you have prime95 (stress testing program) running for a while before you checked the voltages as suggested in one of the guides? its important to test the load stablity of the psu as in heavy load the voltages can drop.. sometimes a bit and sometimes alot so if you havnt ran prime95 for a while before you checked em then do so and recheck em , anyway it can also be the graphic card overheating or a bios issue , what graphic card do you have? (so ill be able to tell if it have a sensor) also leave the case open while the pc is powered on and look if the graphic card fan is spinning, and get the latest bios (and just to make it clear as some ppl get confused i mean the motherboard bios not the graphic card one)

sorry for the confusion.

the compy was always powered on. i had a digital multimeter, so that made it easier to measure the centi volts.
i did not run the prime95 during measures. it did not run anything. it was just powered on and running in empty. i will do that again under stress.

the graphic card is integrated in the mother board. the mother board is a Matsonic MS8308EP(266). the graphic chip is a Silicon Image Systems (I think this is correct. the shortcut is SIS). I don't have a separate fan for the graphic card, i don't even know where this chip is on the motherboard - this is the name that the linux installation program was saying for the video adapter when i was trying to install the system.
the compy case is always opened. i don't close it until i'll fix it (or throw it on the window :) )
the radiator of the processor (i guess it is called heatsink but not sure) is only warmish. never gets too hot.
i reinstalled the bios. i've got the latest bios they had on the website of the motherboard company (the matsonic). it was a AMI from 2003.

thanks a bunch!

i guess that rules out the overheating (an onboard one cant possibly overheat) , your cpu temperature^ is very good considering the cpu you have , and the aluminum/copper part under the cpu fan is called heatsink your right about that and also about the SIS , as for the bios thats a bit unclear you mean you alredy got the latest or that you updated to the latest after i suggested it? , loading optimized/performance defaults on the bios might help , anyway report back with the voltages after youll recheck under stress

the bios i updated it about 2 weeks ago. that was when it was keeping freezing. after updating it, nothing changed in its pattern: it was booting ok, but was keeping freezing randomly. the bios i had before was dated in 2001 (if i well recall -- it was older certainly. this new one is from 2003).

nevertheless, now it seems that i've got into more trouble:
while doing the first measurements, i might have touched something because since then it does not want to boot any more.
when i turn it on, the fan starts, the heatsink gets warm (less warm than it was getting when it was working), it checks the CD drive (i.e., the led turns on and flickers a few time), the HDD starts as well and does a little noise, but nothing happens afterwards.
it does not matter if i have a bootable cd in the cd drive, it won't start (so it is not the problem of the hdd booting sector).
moreover, on the monitor it does not show up anything. the screen remains dark.

i have looked more careful at the mobo to see if i deranged anything and i spotted two capacitors that where opened underneith. so i supposed these leaked, but it did not happen recently. there was some trace of liquid under the capacitors, which was old. but it was very hidden and that's why i did not see it previously.
i have replaced them with some other identical ones (both in capacity and voltage: 2200 micro faradzi and 6.3V).
but still nothing happens when i power it on. it does not boot and the screen is dead too. the power in the psu is the same, nothing changed with this.

do you think it is dead ? i am really sorry if i abused of your time and patience and now i did something stupid and broke something that waisted it all...

COuld be dead, you've always got to be carefull when using a voltmeter not to cause a shortout.
Make sure those capacitors are soldered on ok with fresh solder.

you sure you did it properly? look here http://www.tmo.com/howto/ecu1g/caps.htm , anyway yeah its very possible you made it worse when you "touched something" you shouldnt have with the multimeter. may i ask what exactly that something was? and the two multimeter leads where was each one of em when that happen? take a picture if you got a digital camera and use paint to mark the spots , might wanna consider buyin new mobo
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA22187
and theres a high chance it will fix the original problem (random freezing)

edit i forgot your current mobo have graphics integrated you might wanna get some cheap agp card along with the link^

TheMajor said:
Never heard of an Athlon XP 1500+. Mayeb it's an overclocked Athlon. Check what kind of CPU you have with CPU-Z.
neither did i but then i did a google search and guess what.. anyway his mobo got issues so the only thing he sees on monitor is one big nothin

it actually stop showing anything on the screen, after the measurements.
after i measured the voltages I stopped the computer, I took the heatsink, fan and processor, off the mobo, i took the mobo out of the case and look more careful for capacitors. that's when i've seen the two capacitors which where broken underneith. since i did not have new capacitors, i've put it all back, the proc on the mobo, the mobo in the case. however, when i turned it on, nothing showed on hte screen, and it would not boot.

the capacitors i replaced them later, but nothing new happened afterwards.

so it did not start any more after i've put the proc back. however, this is not the first time i took a proc off the mobo. for this mobo i did it before about 3-4 times.

and it was not affected by the capacitors. i've changed them a day after i've noticed them. that was a day after the proc would not start any more.

so to be more precise it was not affected by the measurements. i remember it was still working immediately after that.

also, now the proc warms up so little that the heatsink keeps staying cold. it starts warming up just a little bit if i stop the fan.
does that mean that the proc still works? (otherwise it would not warm up, right). but why it warms up just sooo little ?

PS: i dont' have a digital camera; however i believe I put the capacitors ok. (when i was little i was building radios from written schemas -- so i am familiar with this thing)
PS2: i always had the "optimal settings" loaded from BIOS,
PS3: it has a choice between 1000MHz and 1500MHz in BIOS, yet the name of the computer is AMD Athlon-XP 1500+.
PS3: the 1500MHz had nothing to do with the freezing. the same was happening with 1000MHz (I've tried that too -- no difference).

this is mainly to jeremy.
i am happy to announce that my compy now works. it's been running for about 15 minutes without a flaw, compiling (finally) my linux kernel (gentoo).

now, what i did to bring it up from that state of darkness it was just before....you can kill me and I still couldn't tell you.... nothing more than that I broke it up again in thousends pieces, removed the processor, all wires and the mobo, cleaned the dust and then carefully put it all back together.
i powered it on and guess what? my compy was complaining that he can not find the boot sector.

i cut it short here. i just want to take the chance to thank jeremy for bringing up the issue with the capacitors. it turned out that this was the problem, and that was fault that i did not see those two capacitors leacked underneith.

i now have new capacitors and..... i am almost with my kernel compiled.

thanks body!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom