Need Help With Sempron's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any other suggestions anyone? One comment i would like to make, I'm not going to be purchasing a new CPU. The Sempron is what I'm going with. So, if I add get 1 gig of RAM (2x512) and a upper end card, will I need to change my power source to a higher output?

ya stick with the sempron, good choice. upgrading your ram won't require you to upgrade your power supply, but putting in a mid-range video card like the 6600gt will. if you don't want to upgrade your power supply, you're lookin at a 6200 or something (thats like ultra-budget). and the games you mentioned, it'll prolly run them well on really low settings.

taking a second look at the games you mentioned, the 6200 will run them all very well, except call of duty 2. thats a newer game and requires steeper resources if you want to play max.

just wondering what you plan to do with your ram.. do you plan on taking out the 2 X 256 and adding in the 2 X 512? or just adding the 2X512 right in? (you have 4dimms)

What I plan on doing, is upgrading my RAM with 2x512mb.

But, just to be 100% clear, the stock Sempron does not have a power source capable of running a higher end Geforce card?

Just about a 100% sure you will need to upgrade the psu if you want a 6600GT or bigger,More than likely that thing only has a 350w crap psu,I have a sempron setup with a 6800GS and a cheap 450w psu and i had to strip just about everything out of my system to get it to run properly,The 6800 was drawing to much power and it was starving my hard drive's and that,Every time i went to start up my hard drive's would shut down because of lack of power,A psu is one thing you don't want to cheap out on,It could end up killing your whole setup :(

its not the sempron that will be powering your video card, its the power supply. i looked around for the specs of your comp, but they don't say how powerful your powersupply is; but since its a compaq, its safe to assume that its pretty weak. i would guess the powersupply to be a 250watt or something..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom