Windows Quit Recognizing Ext HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

roseblood74

Solid State Member
Recently, the boot sector on my laptop's hard drive failed, and I was forced to buy a new hard drive. Instead of throwing the old hard drive away, I decided to buy a USB 2.0 HD case, reformat it, and use it as an external (60 GB).

For several weeks, my "new" external hard drive has been working perfectly with my Windows XP computer, but a few days ago, my laptop quit recognizing the drive. It doesn't show up in My Computer or Disk Management, but it does show up in Device Manager. Also, if I let the external drive try to connect to the computer for longer than 20 - 30 seconds, the entire laptop freezes up.

I've tried plugging it into other computers, but the same symptoms apply. I also searched the forums here and tried reinstalling the driver, by letting Windows find the file itself, and by installing it manually from the included CD. (I did notice that when Windows reinstalled the driver, it claimed an error had occured and "the device may not work properly".)

Any suggestions, recommended programs, or questions would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Sounds like it's confusing the drive letter, although I'm skeptical about that since it is not working on any other computer. Does the drive spin-up when it is connected?

Yes, it does, and the connectivity light flashes green at first, but then it blinks back and forth from green to red, and then it settles on red. In fact, right before the laptop freezes up, the connectivity light turns and stays green... so strange.

Okay, I just tried installing and reinstalling the driver in safe mode, and I didn't get any better results... Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom