Two computers, one keyboard. Not what you think...

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2k4

In Runtime
Would it be possible to build a device that would allow two computers to recieve a keyboard input from 1 keyboard by simpley splitting the cable into two PS/2 connectors? My friend thinks it's not possible without some kind of controller chip but I think it is. I already have diagrams of PS/2 connectors and I was going to build it but I wanted to ask you guys just in case I'd be wasting my time.

Thanks in advance.

I'm absolutely, 100% sure that you will need control here. Electronics, unfortunatly don't think the same way we do. We control the pulses. Therefore, just like the Y-cable back in the late 80s, you will need a control chip of some sort that simply acts as a repeater for the second computer.

The Y-cable was a device for a single computer to share 2 keyboards.

Where would I be able to get one of these chips? I have a bunch of spare computer stuff laying around (keyboards, old 486, etc)

I don't want to buy anything I want to do it myself. If it is impossible then I'll just forget it.

Shumway said:
Umm they already make thing's like that,They are called KVM cable's :confused:

Correct, but the control is lead by the box that you activate. He/She would like to disregard the box and have the computers recieve the signal at the same time.

mikesgroovin said:
Correct, but the control is lead by the box that you activate. He/She would like to disregard the box and have the computers recieve the signal at the same time.

Yeah but that would only work if you were using the same exact program on both computer's right? You wouldn't be able to control 2 different program's or the like's without some how controlling the keyboard to work with both.

Yes I am planning to use the same program, just notepad to show my friends. There is one thing I probably should have said earlier though, one of the computers is running XP and the other is running 95. Also I would need to make a converter to convert PS/2 cable to some huge chunker cable (forget what it is called). Would that be a problem?

That would be a serial cable, have a look on ebay for the converter. The main problem I see with the Y splitter would be that they are both supplying power to a single component.

Once, I've notied in the BIOS, that there is a frequency settings for keyboard, the frequency at which PC reads the input I suppose (it goes around 4 MHz - 16 MHz).
So I think it can be a problem to make them sync.

But, give it a try you only need to find 2 extra connetors (which also can be manually "invented" if you don't want to buy) and connect the cable manually to both, not a problem if you have the most basic electronis knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom