My shiney new toy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really, It really reduces the lifespan by an amount if you increase the voltage to the chip. OC'n without the VOltage increase does not decrease the lifespan by much really. Am i Right?

I have been in your position, and i was focusing on getting the 4400+ then ppl have been telling me to get the opteron 165. And i did!

But its just the best product you can get at excellent value. Theyre server chips so theyre made with the best Silicon for higher abuse and reliability.

You wont regret it. and they well Last as long as a 4400 if not longer. and theyre both Dual core.

Overclocking is easy and many people get intimidated when it comes to Overclocking.

If you have MSN or want to chat more and require more help and guidance. PM me. I will help you get the best possible value for your money, Being a fellow british citizen i can also tell you hotspots for your parts.

Well its good to hear that and i will look into it

i have also sent you an email i think

I do not think a raptor is a waste of money. Hard drives are the slowest component in a PC and all those parts are so fast I'd hate to bottleneck the system with a slow hard drive.

I second the operton.

You should use the tweaking companion on your pc after you install windows from www.tweakguides.com, it goes over every significant setting in XP and various games to tweak, it will show you how to overclock as well.

That cpu would be great for a small overclock and you can also check out DFI forums for help with that and other various BIOS options you may want to modify for performance.

Raptors are nice to have sure, but it won't be that big of increase in performance. A 7.2k RPM HDD won't bottleneck the computer hardly anymore then a 10k RPM HDD. Even the 15k HDDs bottleneck computers. It would be more useful to have a bigger hard drive and put the rest to something else. It's like SLI, you pay more for not that big of an increase. I say only get raptors or other high speed hard drives if you are rich and have nothing else to spend the money on. Now having the small raptor with another hard drive for storage, somewhere around 80+GB isn't that bad of an idea, just put your OS and games that you play the most on there and put your other files like music, pics, etc. on the storage hdd.

yea, i can't wait till i get my 150 gig, im waiting till i completelly pay off my system to my folks and have a little cash extra... i plan on getting mine and putting vista on it, as u can see in my pf. i would agree with the operton comment, i definatelly wish i would have gotten one, but i can't say i hate my X2, it has been absolutally amazing.

i think an SLI board is on his list mainly because a lot of higher quality boards have sli capabilities.. i'm not saying all, more than half or anything, but it definatelly is on a significant amount of high-end boards. Personally i got sli to kind of "future-proof" my system you could say... not for today, but for later. This way i can spend 100 bucks on a second gfx card and get a nice bump in performance... i probly won't do it with this card, but i'll sli two 512 and as memory gets more demanding and such, its just nice to know you have it.

it all looks good though, good luck!!

Ok guys so what motherboard would you all recommend for that sysyem.

Also I was planning on spending the money on the 4800+ and maybe overclocking it later down the line when needed if games etc need more powerful processors

Beefcake is right, dont get a raptor... its a waste.
You should also just get the cheaper cpu and save you $200 and get the same performance.. Overclockin isnt dangerous as long as you reasearch what you are overclocking.. Start a post about how 2 overclock that cpu on this forum. Hope you enjoy your computer.. I am enjoying my first build that i got yesterday....

Regarding the opteron :
Taking money out of it for a minute, surely for a longer lasting PC I could get the 4800+ now, and then if needed overclock that later and get a better perfromance than the opteron 165 that is already overclocked.

I suppose I could go for a different HD that doesnt cost as much and still does the job, as long as it doesnt slow the other components down.
I dont really want to cheap out on things if it slows my machine down, but if it doesnt make much difference I would go for something like.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 NCQ 160GB ST3160812AS SATA-II 8MB Cache - OEM
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Seagate_sata.html
and save myself £50 there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom