Mem Divider = Higher Temps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eleaf

Baseband Member
Hello all. I had my Sempron 2800+(64) overclocked to about 1.9 GHz (normally 1.6). I was noticing a little bit of instability, and I also couldn't overclock any higher at all or I would get a kernel panick at boot.

I decided I should put a memory divider (hehe) on the ram. I think I did 7:8 or something in that range. And I could overclock much higher! I also noticed much stabler results.

However, I took a look at the cpu temperatures i was getting and they increased quite a bit!

Normally I was getting about 32 C idle , 39-40 C full load.

Now, I'm getting 42 C idle and 50 C full load.
I went back into the bios, and brought the overclock down to where it was before but left the memory divider where it was.

The temperature was the same! Should a memory divider really increase temperature?
:rolleyes:

No, a memory divider wouldn't have anything to do with the temps at all. Only the CPU's overclock and voltage going through the CPU will effect the temp.

You add voltage to a CPU to make it stabler, not adjust the memory divider. You only mess with the memory divider, when you know the memory can't follow up as high as the CPU will go.

Yes I know how it works. It just seems odd that whenever I add a memory divider, the temperatures increase by about 10 C!
That seems like a lot.

This increases when i do nothing to the fsp or voltage. Very odd.

Could just be a whacked out sensor or something. Theres no way a memory divider should effect temps in any way at all.

Eleaf said:
Hello all. I had my Sempron 2800+(64) overclocked to about 1.9 GHz (normally 1.6). I was noticing a little bit of instability, and I also couldn't overclock any higher at all or I would get a kernel panick at boot.

I decided I should put a memory divider (hehe) on the ram. I think I did 7:8 or something in that range. And I could overclock much higher! I also noticed much stabler results.

However, I took a look at the cpu temperatures i was getting and they increased quite a bit!

Normally I was getting about 32 C idle , 39-40 C full load.

Now, I'm getting 42 C idle and 50 C full load.
I went back into the bios, and brought the overclock down to where it was before but left the memory divider where it was.

The temperature was the same! Should a memory divider really increase temperature?
:rolleyes:

You are lucky m8 ..

i get 50 IDLE and 55 LOAD

and mines a stock Amd Sempron 2800 32BIT @ 2ghz and you have been ripped if yours is 1.6 ..because mines 2ghz Stock lol .;.

Re: Re: Mem Divider = Higher Temps?

Amd2800 said:
You are lucky m8 ..

i get 50 IDLE and 55 LOAD

and mines a stock Amd Sempron 2800 32BIT @ 2ghz and you have been ripped if yours is 1.6 ..because mines 2ghz Stock lol .;.

Your's is a socket A cpu while his is a 754 so how do you figure he was ripped? :confused:

well my auntie got same socket CPU as me aswelll and she gets 1.6 ghz .while ive got 2ghz

Yes. The 64 bit 2800 has 1.6 ghz. That does not mean that it is slower, it's just newer technology. Many people would know that you can't always directly compare Ghz. Especially when comparing different companies or processing technologies. =)

He was baffled about my sempron a little while back too,He was all like "how can yours be runing @ 2Ghz? mine run's @ 2Ghz,Your's is supposed to be 1.6 " I guess he's never heard of OC'ing and the like's :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom