Windows Vista Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it basically the same thing. They will just update it in the future so it wont be so much like OE.

Microsoft on Thursday updated the preview version of its OneCare security software with anti-spyware technology, a slight name change and bug fixes.

OneCare marks Microsoft's long-anticipated entry into the consumer antivirus market. The product combines antivirus, anti-spyware and firewall software with backup features and several tune-up tools for Windows PCs. It will be sold online and in stores, starting in June, Microsoft has said.

As OneCare hits the homestretch, Microsoft is putting the final touches on the product. The "beta refresh" released Thursday adds anti-spyware functionality to the software, the one main feature that wasn't yet part of the beta product. The anti-spyware features come from Windows Defender, Microsoft's anti-spyware application that's also in beta.

There have been rumors galore about exactly when Microsoft plans to ship Windows Vista. We've heard everything from August to October.

Microsoft spokespeople have favored a "latter half of 2006" due-date answer, when asked.

But from the "Official Microsoft Connections" event blog we now have an official month: It's November, folks.

Just in case the post disappears, here's what it says: "This is the yearÂ… the year that Microsoft releases the newest version of Windows. Yes, Vista will be released in November of this year."

The release-to-manufacturing date will be earlier, obviously. We'd say early fall, if we were wagering.

Despite claims that it has "paused" development on the product, Microsoft delivered an updated CTP of Expression Graphic Designer -- formerly known as Acrylic -- over the weekend, along with a refreshed build of its Interactive Designer tool.

Expression Graphic Designer has been hyped as a rival to Adobe's Photoshop, but Microsoft has designed the product to specifically take advantage of the new display capabilities in Windows Vista. Graphic Designer outputs into the XAML file format that is natively supported by Vista's Presentation Foundation.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...C7-343F-4927-ABD1-8BBF6E7E01DE&displaylang=en

hate to switch the topic so suddenly, but does anyone know about the HD support... i heard somewhere that you were going to have to buy a new monitor in order to play videos in hd... is this true or another crazy rumor?

Some say it is some say it isn't. That is one of the issues best left to the time the final product is released in my opinion.

According to my sources, Microsoft will soon ship an unexpected "refresh build" of Windows Vista to its technical beta testers and some corporate customers. Previously, the company had been shipping only semi-monthly Community Technical Preview (CTP) builds of Vista to testers and other audiences, including MSDN subscribers. The refresh build is currently build 5342, I'm told. It will require different product keys than the previous CTP.

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=49695&feed=rss&subj=0

Microsoft originally expected to ship a CTP build in April, though that release could slip until May, according to sources. That CTP should be made available to the public via Web downloads.

that last part... made availible to the public via web downloads...... what is that about? do they mean it will be released to the public as in people like me who are unofficial beta testers or only people like MSDN subscribers?

Yes tommyboy that is exactly what they mean. You just fill out a small survey to get a serial then you can download it and try it out without being a tester like you have to be now.

It is like the IE7 Beta 2 that they released recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom