OK, so here is my problem, would like to upgrade my pc,
Current specs are as fallows
Av8 Dlx rev2
Amd64 Winchester 3200
2 gig Ocz Value Ram
6800GT
Audigy 2 Plat
Antec Psu 550

I was thinking of just getting a new mobo and Gfx, if i were to get a 7900Gt would my cpu bottleneck the system or no?

if i were to get a 7900Gt would my cpu bottleneck the system or no?

It may. The 7900GT is a lot of card. But replacing your CPU won't be cheap. On NewEgg, a 3700+ (San Diego) is $212, a X2 3800+ (cheapest dual-core) is $295.

CPUs don't bottleneck graphics cards.

There is this HUGE misconception that just because you have a ridiculously powerful card that you need a CPU that's ridiculously powerful as well.

Bottlenecks ONLY happen when two things are trying to communicate directly with each other like in the case of system memory and your CPU. This was mainly a problem during the Socket A days when the FSB REALLY did matter much more than it does today. If your CPU was a 400FSB CPU and your RAM was only PC2700 which is 333FSB, then your CPU would literally have to wait for the RAM during communications.

The CPU and GPU do not directly communicate, therefore, NO there will be no bottleneck whatsoever.

For whatever reason, people seem to have trouble understanding this concept. Of course a better CPU will give you better performance......that's common sense. It's not because your previous CPU was bottlenecking the graphics card.

So next time you hear someone talking about their CPU bottlenecking their graphics card or vice versa, smack em, because it's not possible. Two things have to be directly connected/communicating and one slowing down the other to be considered a bottleneck.

Nope, it wont. As explained above.

Dont worry dude, your system is good to go. Heck you don't even really need a new mobo unless you are looking to get one with better overclocking options and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom