Upgrade to Dual Channel - Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know of this is the best analogy, but going from single channel ram to dual channel ram would be like going from using a single hard drive to using two hard drives in Raid 0.

You have know what DC does. Once you do, the answer is pretty obvious.

Do a little research. It'll be worth your time.

Essentially, the latency across two large sticks like that (1gig) is going to more or less negate any advantages of DC. That said, it will still be worth your money to buy the second 1gig stick, because 2gigs of RAM would be good. As long as the RAM is fast and low-latency on its own, you have little to be concerned about. DC, if you use it, will just be an extra bell and whistle.

Somethings to consider ...

Don't buy anymore memory if you already have 1Gb, that's a solid amount and I'd wait for Socket AM2 and DDR2. You won't be able to use that older DDR memory on AM2, so I think it's a waste since your probably going to want to upgrade before the end of the year.

Brtnboarder495 said:
Somethings to consider ...

Don't buy anymore memory if you already have 1Gb, that's a solid amount and I'd wait for Socket AM2 and DDR2. You won't be able to use that older DDR memory on AM2, so I think it's a waste since your probably going to want to upgrade before the end of the year.

I have DDR2. :)

So many mixed opinions!

Thanks for all the help.

if your not having any problems with your games, then whats the point? unless your playing games such as BF2 that need the extra ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom