Jayce

Fully Optimized
I googled a bit and found this information:

"Select the tab : Remote

( Remote Assistance is available for
both XP Home and XP Professional)

Remote Desktop is NOT available
for Windows XP Home Edition."

What's this mean? That if I have XP Home, someone can connect to me and take control of my computer, however since I have XP Home, I can't do that back to them?

It just means that with XP Home you can connect to an XP Pro machine running the Remote Desktop service. However, with XP Home, you cannot use the Remote Desktop service for people to come into your machine.....only through Remote assistance.

Wait, wait.... What's the difference? Let's put it in different terms, because I'm not so sure what the proper names are and whatnot and I'm only getting confused.

First question: Is there ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM that I can take control of a relative's laptop 45 minutes away who has cable internet on a laptop loaded with XP Home by using my custom built computer loaded with XP Home and cable internet as well?

jeremy said:
yes there is, forget about the remote desktop simply use a third party software , ultravnc is great http://ultravnc.sf.net/ and very easy to use & configure & its fast and free too

My buddy showed me briefly how to do it when I was on my old machine, he guided me through the Gateway help icon in the start menu and eventually we found it. The thing is, I'm not on that Gateway anymore, and this computer has no help icon in the start menu. :(

Is this software... uh, safe? Hate to sound paranoid but I've never done this before so... The other thing I'm worried is about what the other person would do, because the least they have to do on their end to connect with me, the better... These folks don't know too much about computers, so...

Remote desktop is a terminal server type setup. You have to be in the admins group or part of the group for Remote Desktop users to connect that way. Remote Assistance, is a way for others to connect to you with your permission and view your machine. They only see what you see. Then if you want to let them, they can take control of your machine, which you can stop by pressing esc at any time. It's a great tool for helping others.

I don't think that home even has the software for allowing remote desktop, so that should be a worry, let alone, you need to be a memeber of the local groups for that to work. If you password protect administrator, then this isn't a problem.

Well ****, remote assistance is what I wanted in the first place then. All I really wanted to do was be able to tap into my cousin's laptop to help her out with a few things.

I mean, would it even be possible to tap into her machine, and run a virus scan or anything like that? Like, can I run programs on her computer when I'm tapped into it?

This UltraVNC thing I'm having trouble figuring out what to download...

This is what I'm looking at...

remote.jpg

it have an optional rc4 encryption plugin+no one but you will be able to connect to his pc as long as the server will be password protected and changing the default port might be a good idea too , anyway its very easy for him to install he just needs the standalone server (have him download that or send him it) anyway after he runs it there will be a simple configuration window where a few things should be done:
1) unticking "enable javaviewer (http connect)"
2) clickin "ports" and changing the main, not complicated
3) puting a password in the "VNC Password" field
4) clicking ok and its all done and an icon will be in the tray

now how you connect , you need to install the whole package "Ultr@VNC 1.0.1 Setup" run the ultravnc viewer and under "quick options" select the appropirate connection speed and on the "vnc server" field put ip:port (his ip of course not yours) and click connect and youll be asked for a password, just tell him to go to http://ringhio.ath.cx/ and tell you his ip , but of course if he got a firewall it must be configured right in order for this or any other program alike will work

as for the first question when youll be in youll be able to use your mouse/keyboard just like you were there , you need to download REL 1.0.1-->UltraVnc-101-Setup.zip , and he needs to download UltraVnc-Server-101.zip as ^

as for the first question when youll be in youll be able to use your mouse/keyboard just like you were there , you need to download REL 1.0.1-->UltraVnc-101-Setup.zip , and he needs to download UltraVnc-Server-101.zip as ^

So, is the UltraVnc setup the actual program that we'd both use to connect to one another? What does the REL 1.0.1 do?

I'm sorry, but look at the picture. Which one am I downloading? The only thing I see with zip is the tabbed viewer.......

Also, I thought somewhere in the dos prompt if I typed ipconfig I could find the IP address... isn't there another way to do it through windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom