problem with decompressing files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

snick

In Runtime
hello all, never posted in the Windows section, i'm kind of an invalid when it comes to anything windows, other than installing and day to day use.....

anyways, my problem is when i need to decompress files...i first noticed this problem when trying to patch games online....the patcher would download a compressed file, and then try to decompress it...at this point the patcher would get an error and close...so after awhile i found a way around it by getting all the files from another computer....but this doesnt really solve my problem! even when i try to download a zipped file, i try to unzip it and it says the file is corrupt! however, it unzips fine on other computers....wth? i don't understand why my computer is having this problem....a compression program is included with the installation of windows correct? seems like it's messed up or something...can anyone tell me how to fix this?

thanks

file curruption is usally caused by bad ram/unstable overclock
is your cpu overclocked? if so underclock it to its stock speed and see if that helps ,
get the ram checked with memtest86+ http://www.memtest.org/download/1.65/memtest86+-1.65.iso.zip (the testing automatically starts after booting, let it make at least 11 passes before restarting) , now let me make it more clear what i mean by "bad"
1) its timings are set too tight and it cant handle it (or at least cant handle it with current ram voltage)
2) your mobo dislikes it
3) its plain bad

not overclocked...might be the ram tho...OCZ platinum 2x1g paired with the DFI Lanparty Expert seems to cause all kinds of ram problems...took me forever to get timings set that would even let me install.

but i'll try that program, thanks!

how do i use that file? i need to unzip it somewhere? if so where? if i need to run it... w/ what program? right now it's sitting on desktop still zipped up....

iso a cd-rom image? need to put on disk and reboot?

you need to unzip and burn it to cd (as image not data) , to do this in nero in menu goto recorder-->burn image or in nero express click "disc image or saved project" , if you got any other burning software then i cant explain how, but you can use imgburn http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/imgburn.cfm which is very easy to use & intended to burn images , anyway after you got it on cd you need to configure the bios to boot from the cdrom/optical drive and just boot from it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom