Stressing dual cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtis

Daemon Poster
So when I first ran prime 95 on my dual core, i noticed it was never under full load. I'm guessing it was made before dual cores hit the market so it obviously dosen't max out both cores. It looks like it runs half on one and half on the other.

So I used Ai Booster, a temp monitoring program that came w/ my mobo that you can also use to OC your cpu(i used BIOS though).

I ran the HL2 Lost Coast video stress test over and over again for a solid hour w/ Prime95 running in the background. I ran the HL stress demo at 1280x1024 w/ everything turned all the way up. My average FPS was 50.76! I was pretty happy about that. The video card NEVER whent over 61C, and was at 55-60 most of the time.

And the CPU never whent above 46C. And it's OC'ed to 2.5. And it idles at 29-30C

I guess to me it seems like the temp's are pretty low. I guess i'm just happy that I could OC the CPU at 2.5 and have the video card OC'ed at 490/1.16 and it be stable and not run hot under that much load.

Anyone on here tried anything similar? Or anyone know of any programs that can stress dual cores? I know you should let it run around 12 hours or so but i've yet to of found a program like Prime95.

run several versions of prime95, all running torture test. you have to run it from command prompt with a command line switch though. it says how in the help i think.

oh nice, thanks ill try that.

Since about 12 45 to no (3:45) ive been running Prime95 with CPU Burn in, and it's been running at 45C the whole time and it's been under 100% load on both cores and stable. It's 45C cause I opend the window and its cold out, and it runs at about 47C with it closed. Also, I attached a room fan to the case w/ the side open to have more air blowing in ha.

The following was how I was able to torture test both cores on my X2 4800+.

I extracted prime 95 twice one in a folder I labeled prime95_1 and one in another folder I labeled Prime95_2. From each folder I was able to open and have 2 prime95 screens open at the same time. Go to affinity and set the cpu for 0 in the first screen and 1 in the second screen. Go to torture test do a custom setup and set the memory for 300 on each screen. that should do it.

To view CPU load on each core I have an utility that came with my motherboard, so I was able to verify both cores were under 100% load.

I ran prime 95 like this for over 11 hrs with no problems and both cores were 100% utilized. I have not found an easier way to test both cores.

Ok, well if it's stable then good :classic: so what are you asking here

and you could just press ctrl+alt+del to see if both cores are 100% full load

Ya, I just ended up running Prime95 w/ CPU burn along time. It was stable.

I've been trying to find the max it'll boot at, and it's 2.67 GHZ. Even at 2.68 it wont boot. It's just cool to know how high it can go ha. But I ran 3dMark05 and it crashed like 10 seconds in haha.

But, what i found interesting, is w/ the windows open, and the case sides open, it idles at 26C @ 2.67 GHZ @ 1.5. But yet when I got any higher, it crashes. Is it because the memory can't handle it? I was thinking about getting DDR533 or something, but it can be spendy, so I think I may wait until the new socket from AMD is out w/ DDR2 to OC, i don't wanna spend 200-ish on memory when I already have good mem and i'm gonna upgrade at the end of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom