Ok question on air flow over CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitrofc54

Solid State Member
I am new here and have a second question on air flow over a CPU, does it matter which way the fan turns? I was useing a 60mm cpu fan and decided to put in a 80mm with an adapter, the fan is currently pulling air from the heatsink and blowing it out to the side. The cpu runs at 38 C verses 45c running it the other way. The adapter is about and inch thich and its a thermaltake smart fan but i am useing a manual temp adjuster and running the fan about 4100 rpm. The case its in is a "Demon" with a side fan, bottom fan and two fans in the back, also there is a large(about 120mm) top vent with no fan. I am running a AMD 2600 cpu 2.13Ghz, 2100 ddrram(512MB) and a Biostar m7viw motherboard, its not overclocked but the temps sure are lots better with the new case. I can put two more fans in the front but so far things are running pretty cool, its just used for a few games (ut2003,quake3, and several other like it), so im crazy but it works good for what i built it for.

the processor fan should direct air onto the heatsink not away. i think the reason you have lower temps is because you used a 80mm after replacing the 60mm, not because you are reversing the airflow on the processor heatsink. see what happens when you blow air onto the heatsink and check your temps again.

Should there be any warm air coming out of the fan if it is blowing onto the heatsink? I have a stock setup I got from the local computer shop and I have always thought the fan was sucking hot air FROM the HS.
Could there simply be feedback from air bouncing off the HS, or do I have to turn that sucker around? It looks like it's placed properly.

that made no sense, but blowing the cooler air onto the heatsink is the design that was made, therefor the coolest air possible is blown onto the entire heatsink to cool it off, if you suck the hot air away from it, you're still dragging that heat on the heatsink, which will cool the chip, but not as well as it could be...

What doesn't make sense?
I am asking if there should be warm air blowing from the fan if it is in fact blowing DOWN on the heatsink, nitro is asking which direction is better, and ek is telling us which way they go.

this is my set up LOl

it runs at 35c and 25c and when i open the window by my computer

it runs at

30c and 18c

lol ghetto

Attachments

• voltage.gif
    34.4 KB · Views: 64
yes true-orb you are getting some backwind from the fan. if you feel the sides of the heatsink the airflow should feel stronger than from the back of the processor fan. this is just a bit of resistance from the airflow hitting the bottom of the heatsink and bouncing back.

True_Orb said:
Should there be any warm air coming out of the fan if it is blowing onto the heatsink? I have a stock setup I got from the local computer shop and I have always thought the fan was sucking hot air FROM the HS.
Could there simply be feedback from air bouncing off the HS, or do I have to turn that sucker around? It looks like it's placed properly.

hehe Trax i like that :) . Actually ive recomended that as a crude test for troublshooting heat issues lol .It works :)

Too cool Trax , i have a new case (demon) and it has the ability to run up to 7,( 1 bottom,1 side, 2 rear,2front,1 top)i have the back2 exhausting, and the side blowing out, am getting 2 front fans to intake. Do i need the side fan to exhaust or intake? The top is an open screen of about 5x5 1/2 inches big. the cpu runs at 40c under a moderate load(i guess the fan is running corretly, pushing air into the HS) does more fans equil cooler cpu temp? The PSU also has two fans , and has a switch for l,m,h and i run it on the H. I am running a 550w PSU as i have 3 led fans with a lighted fan grille and a Thermaltake Cool mod blue/red led grille set to HDD activity monior. Thanks again and sry im so late in responding to this thread, i need to check back more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom