Raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
stands for Redundant Array of Independent (some times as well called Inexpensive) Disks. in Laymans, basically you install 2 oor more same hard drives in your system, and one of the hard drives acts as a replica of the other, so it means, what ever data you have stored on C, will have a mirror on D (assuming you have 2 hard drives C and D). this makes data access faster for the hard drives, as part of the large data file is accessed from 1 drive and other part from other drive. also as you already have mirror drive, so the data loss reduces in case of failure.

RAID has 11-12 levels, like Level 1, Level 2, each defines uniqueness according to desired output (some for speeds, soem for data replication etc etc).

RAID0 - 6 & RAID 0 +1 , RAID 7, RAID 10 and finally RAID S. i have to be consice as i'm talking to my Wife on phone (dont want to get beaten up).

hmm, it might will be late night toonightm, as right after that I am going to University, and after that I have laser eye surgery (F***** Busy Day). but I will try utmost to write as much as I can. as I might not be allowed to use PC's right after my surgery for at least 24 hours. if I could get time during my boring lecture, I'll start typing as I'll be with my laptop anyway in class.
but meanwhile i'll just write about RAID 0 - its particularly, striped disk array without fault tolerence.this provides data stripping (spreading each block of file over multiple disk drives, 1/2/3/4 as you have got disk in arrays, e.g you have 4 disks, then your 1 file of 100KB will be divided into 4 X 25kb and stored on each.) this improves performance, but does not provide fault tolerence, so in case of failure of one drive, all the data is lost. remember, i have said earlier, that RAID is customised for one purpose (either speed or reliability), but there are combinations (like RAID 0+1).

hope it helped.

basically in RAID 0 performance is improved because each hdd in the array works to its maximum capacity so overall gives you a higher transfer rate. RAID 1 is called mirroring and each disk mirrors another for instance if using 2 drives the second would always remain an exact copy of the first which is useful for backup purposes. RAID 0+1 combines the 2, you need at least 4 drives. in the case of 4 drives the first pair is in RAID 0 giving you double speed transfers and the second pair mirrors the first. this way you have the speed benefits of RAID 0 and the security of RAID 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom