Help with overclocking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneArmedScissor

In Runtime
I have an AMD Opteron 165 and a MSI K8N Neo4-F.

I begin to overclock the thing.

I set the memory to 100MHz
Make sure it posts, then I go back to BIOS
I set the HT thing to 205 at x5.
It posts and everything works.
Then I set it at 210 at x5 and it doesn't post.
Reset the CMOS and started over.
207 at x5 was the when it last posted.
It did not post on 208

Reset the CMOS
This time, I tried putting the memory at 133MHz
And tested it on 207 at x3. It posted
208 at x3 posted as well.
Tried 209 at x3, but it didn't post.

The reason why I bought an Opteron 165 was because they were suppose to be overclocking beasts... but why is mine being a poon?

All help is appreciated!

Try setting the HTT multiplier to 3x or 4x. Also try increasing the chipset voltages if you can.

i love that this forum is full of people that know and speak proper english.

P.S- At the Drive-in was amazing, one armed scissor.

I increased the voltage to 1.4

209 x 3 posted
but when I tried 210 x 3, it didn't post...

wtf?

edit:

I just got this Opteron and motherboard from NewEgg like a week ago. I was alittle hesitant about installing the CPU, because the green packaging material in the box was all crushed, etc. and the processor was "free floating" around in the box... possibly could have been damaged.

Should I just return the processor, processor and mother board, or not even worry about it?

Maybe I should just return the CPU and motherboard and get a X2 4400 like I originally planned :confused:

I doubt there was any damage. If it was damaged, you wouldn't be able to use it at all.

What do you mean by post? You do realize you can't just tweak your HTT frequency slightly, then save and exit the BIOS and then immediately re-enter it on restart as that isn't even taking it through the post

You wanna go in increments of either 5 or 10MHz and you wanna boot up into windows and stress both cores with prime95 for about 10minutes or so to make sure they're semi-stable...if you run into any problems with prime95 failing you need to bump up the vcore

Settings:

HTT: 210
HTT multi: 3x
CPU multi: 9x
Memory: 150/3:4
vcore: 1.35vcore
special VID: +110%
PCI-E: 99/100
PCI: 33
chipset voltage: 1.7v
LDT voltage: 1.4v

start there and adjust vcore and HTT accordingly