Dual Gigabit LAN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fusion

Beta member
I am having a dispute argument with my friend wabout two different motherboards. When we came across the Dual Gigabit Feature we had argued about its purpose. I'm not going to write what I thin kits for because I dont want to influence my opinion. May someone please help me and tell me what is the reason for Dual Gigabit LAN on a motherboard.

It has many uses.

Backup if one fails.
Allows you to share internet without a NIC.
Allows for a direct connection to another computer via crossover cable while still attached to a network.
You can be attached to 2 networks simultaneously.
Etc.

you wont be able to get the full stream of 1Gb until your switch is 1GB compatible, also, your Wires are 1Gb compatible. else you'll only get 100Mbps.

and Dual LAN comes on systems which can opt for becoming a small scall / entry level server. therefore, you can make your server as Internet gateway/ Router / DHCP server. Dual LAN is not new to Motherboards, as I remember Asus Gave Dual LAN on their A7N8X- Deluxe board for the first time, and I dont remember using both.

the point is that a lot of the time you won't need to connect to more than 2 other networked devices at a time unless you are on an actual network or at a LanParty (in which case there are switch/hubs anyway). gigabit is the new standard in networks and as you only tend to get dual lan on higher end boards the included ports are gigabit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom