What order should ram be in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexsabree

Fully Optimized
Say if i got two sticks of 256mb of ram and also bought a single stick of 512mb ram.....

Would it matter if i put the 512 before the dual 256 on my motherboard?

The reason im asking this question is because its real simple and easy to change, even if it really doesnt make that much difference...

I would think puttin the 512 first would be faster (logicaly)

Thanks in advance, Alexsabree

if you have 3 sticks of ram you can't run dual channel
ACTUALLY........some motherboards would allow you to run dual channel assuming all 3 sticks were exactly the same. However, the chances of that are very slim and that may have been limited to the NF2 boards with only 3 slots to begin with, where you'd put the two 256 sticks in the two slots that wouldn't give you DC and the 512mb slot in the 3rd slot that normally would, and if your board isn't too picky it might work, but isn't at all guaranteed.

Also he never said anything about running dual channel, he simply said "Dual 256" implying 2 sticks.

I am planning to get four.... but my motherboard instructions dont tell me where to put it.. i mean wat order
Do i put 512 in both 1+2 and put 256 in 3+4 slots???

i know on some older comps u had to start with ur lower 256mb and work up... but thats been a long while ago lol...u can prolly just stick them in there no performance differences if its a newer comp

Thanks, thats all i wanted to know.... and kinda off topic but, i have 756 should i really get 1000mb..... does it really make a difference?

i dont think that it would, but then again you are getting a whole gig, so probably the difference would be noticable, and you can never have enough RAM, lol.

nitestick said:
for dual channel you want the matched pairs in 1+3 and 2+4.

well, it depends on your motheroard again...i used to think that was the universal standard....but someone was posting his specs on here and i called him on it....i wish i could remember the type of MB he had now....anyways, he posted the manual, and sure enuff, it called for dual channel slots 1+2 and 3+4. he ran a diagnostic and it confirmed dual channel enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom