Ram Boost.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any RAM is "gaming" RAM. They might market certain RAM as "gaming grade" RAM like the XMS was but there is no performance boost. The only time RAM makes a difference is how overclockable it is. It's just like the RAM that at a "SLI certified" sticker on it when all RAM works fine. It's just a way to make you spend more money. I would go for OCZ, G. Skill, Mushkin, Patriot and Corsair (for valueRAM).

The difference between valueram and more expensive ram is that the more expensive ram overclocks better then valueram.

The OCZ i listed is a great deal. With the mail-in rebate, it costs the same as valueRAM, but it has much better timings and can overclock better. Thats the one I would go with.

Not Trying to Hijack your thread Ton :) I just have a question and didn't want to clutter with a new post when this one is about the same thing pretty much. When overclocking is it better to have Expensive PC 3200 Ram or PC 4000 Ram?

TonCrafter said:
So, what kind of timings should I be looking for when shopping for ram?

If you want the best, then for 1GB kits, you want 2-2-2-5. For 2GB kits, the best is 2-3-2-5. However, any with 2GB kits with 2-3-3-8 or so should be pretty good too. The first number (CAS latency) is really the most "important" of them. Ususally with a CAS of 2 or 2.5 you will get some good or decent timings. I would stay away from CAS greater than 3. *Note: this only applies to "expensive, overclocking RAM* With ValueRAM, the timings aren't important, just the price. :D

For gaming, I think that in most situations 2x512Mb is about the same as 4x512Mb (there is some performance jump, but not enough to make it worth your $60-100), but 2x1Gb > both setups.

The four DIMMs just runs slow in most modern games, especially BF2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom