Xfx 7900gt

Status
Not open for further replies.

NosBoost300

I poop on the rug
alright, maybe i'm finding some little problems with this.. i'm not sure, it could just be my horrible psu....

anywho, when i go to overclock in the menu i notice it says 750 mhz memory clock... which makes no sense, thats incredibly slow....

and overclocking doesnt look to pretty either, just highering the core clock to 545 freezes up my comp in games :angry: i'm hoping its just my horrible underpowered UNdual rail psu....

anywho, i still got some nice results from this, upping the AA and AF along with soft shadows in fear only made its results even higher FPS average, which amazed me

in fear 1024x768, 4xAA 16xAF, Soft shadows on, everything maxed, i managed a nice 66 fps average... ooo its never felt soo good... but some reason, i can't helpo but think.. that it should be better??

okay okay, cool i have it at 800mhz right now, so its 1.6... wow, thats faster than alot of my friends old pentium 3's... and celerons.. hahaha i feel good :)

anywho, i'm about to his 3dmark05.... lets see how many of them marks i get!

hrmmm i dunno about max out, i'll give it a shot, i may have to turn off soft shadows... maybe even lower aniso from 16x... thats really dang high...

well well, i shall try that.. and get back to you all... i just scored a 8950 on 3dmark05... on 540/1600... i'll up that and also put my cpu back to 2.8ghz and try 3dmark05 once again...

okie dokie.. well i played some more fear, did 1280x1024... 2xAA 8xAF W/soft shadows it was 67 average without softshadows it was 68.. so not a difference there.. with AA at x2 it dropped the average to 48... big difference.. didnt see a difference in quality... so i guess 1280 with 8XAF 2xAA shall do me just fine... with soft shadows :D

but some reason, i can't helpo but think.. that it should be better??
yeesh, do you not realize how taxing the settings you have are? FEAR is a horribly demanding game and a poorly written engine. People would kill to have that FPS on much worse settings.

Also you don't need a dual rail PSU, you simply need a good PSU with a steady rail period, so I wouldn't be going and overclocking things in your computer if you already have a crappy and unsteady railed PSU.

As far as the memory doubling thing, I've never seen nvidia show the memory speed halved. Maybe it's something new with the 7900 series or something because when I adjust my memory speed it says 1200MHz, but I'm using rivatuner.

so what i'm getting is good?!?!? oh.. well then i can't wait to see what dual 7900gt's will dish out for me in the future... in about 1 month... if things go as planned... (this crap compaq gets sold) if my bro's friend doesnt buy it, i'm gonna sell the whole thing with the 6800 gs for 550 dollars with a 15" crt... so people! listen to that :D ..... its not so bad if you dont want to overclock

soft shadows KILL performance in that game. Beyond that dude you're running with freakin 16x AF which is pretty insane, and even further beyond that 4x AA, 4x AA with soft shadows as it is, is a massive performance killer. Couple that with every single thing maxed out and a poorly written game engine that is a resource hog and drains the computer of system memory and yeah, 66FPS under those conditions even at 1024x768 is dang good.

I find it strange that you're not noticing a performance difference with soft shadows being turned on and off considering ANY bench you look at, or even personal experience on my side, disabling soft shadows gives quite a performance increase.

Personally I'd rather play without it, and up the resolution and AA, and AF or something, because IMO they don't look that great to constitute the performance drop anyway, but if you say there is no performance drop then I guess it doesn't matter.

Also, on a COMPLETELY, unrelated note....check this out :p

http://www.trueswords.com/final-fantasy-sephiroth-masamune-sword-p-7.html

only reason I bring it up, is because you mentioned you had the rouroni kenshin reversed blade like I do in that picture thread, so I figured you'd probably appreciate that.

I think I may have to buy that. Measure out 50" on a tape measure, that's just the blade....68" all together, that thing is freakin massive. I must have it :drool: :D

Sorry for going way off there haha

ya i found that odd as well.. it even says when i turn it on, that its for high performance or whatever... well i decided to play on 1280x1024 so i dropped it to 2xAA 8xAF w/ soft shadows, it does me just fine, not so much as a hick up while playing, feel nice to play this way... can't wait to blow my money on the 2nd gt... i'll have a 19 inch widescreen by then too, so hopefully it can handle 1440x940 or whatever it was.. i'm pretty sure it will...

check out my post, I edited it, I think you were already reading it before I got a chance to edit it.

Just the bottom part ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom