CRT monitor for gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveW

Beta member
I am after some advice on a new monitor.

I currently have a Pentium IV 3.0 system which has a Diamond Plus 230SB 22" CRT monitor and a 19" Viewsonic TFT which I bought as a cheap second monitor. The graphic card is an ATI 9700 pro.

I use this system for both work and gaming so I thought I would get a second PC just for games and leave my existing PC for work only

This new PC will have a 7900GTX graphic card and probably a 4800+ AMD processor (I couldn't justify to myself the extra cash for a second SLI 7900 GTX or the FX-60 processor in terms of a performance return, although I did try hard). I am also only going to have one monitor as that is all that is required for almost all games.

I am after a monitor that is good for games and can run 1600x1200. I would prefer a CRT monitor similar to my existing 230SB with which I have been very happy. One other option is to get a TFT monitor for my existing system and use the 230SB for the new games machine. I need 1600x1200 for both work and gaming but the work machine doesn't need a superfast TFT monitor in terms of pixel update.

So can anyone recommend either:

a) A very good monitor for gaming of least equal quality to the 230SB (preferably CRT).

b) A TFT monitor capable of 1600x1200 (probably 20") that I can use on my work machine allowing me to move the 230SB to the games machine.

Any advice appreciated.

Steve

Well, they have been discontinued and are a **** of expensive, but if you can find one a LaCie electron22blueIV or electron19blueIV would be the absolute best CRT monitors for gaming.

I'd just take that 19" monitor and use it for your gaming machine. Keep the 22" for your work, cos I find that if I stare at a screen larger than 20" for more than two hours my eyes get sore.

cyrax said:
I'd just take that 19" monitor and use it for your gaming machine. Keep the 22" for your work, cos I find that if I stare at a screen larger than 20" for more than two hours my eyes get sore.

I need two monitors for work, one of which has to be 1600x1200, and the 19" is only 1280x1024. Also I want a 1600x1200 for gaming so the 19" is really just an addon to the work system and not suitable as a primary monitor for either system.

I have been using the 22" for a couple of years, often for many hours at a stretch, and I haven't had any eye problems. In fact it seems a lot easier on the eyes than the LCD. It is a very good monitor though.

Stev

003 said:
Well, they have been discontinued and are a **** of expensive, but if you can find one a LaCie electron22blueIV or electron19blueIV would be the absolute best CRT monitors for gaming.

I found a couple of reviews and they were flattering. The electron22blueIV also uses the same 22" Diamondtron cathode ray tube as my 230SB so that would seem ideal. Now I just need to find one :)

Thanks a lot for this recommendation

Steve

003 said:

Tried searching a lot of sites but no luck. Any other suggestions?

I did find one site recommending an Iiyama Vision Master Pro 514

Steve

SteveW said:
Tried searching a lot of sites but no luck. Any other suggestions?

I did find one site recommending an Iiyama Vision Master Pro 514

Steve

As far as I know all "Pro" models of IIyama have a Diamondtron tube, so you're good to go. I have an old model one of those.

I dont see why you wont jus get one LCD monitor and switch out moniters (get a switch) for your computer... save your money

Of course this is my opinion, but
lcd looks better in gaming, it really doesnt hurt your eyes (4 me)
It can be sorta expensive
Get 19" above that WILL hurt your eyes
Energy Use........ Whatever :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom