do I really neeD thermal paste?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaximusNukeage

In Runtime
I just bought an AMD 3700 processor, and it came with a heat sink and that heatsink already has a square of grey stuff on the bottom. so my question is, it that stuff thermal paste that comes withthe processor? and if so can i just install the processor without getting additional thermal paste?

It is a thermal pad. You can use it on its own and they work fine, some like to use artic silver paste but most dont bother.

Yeah, if you're not overclocking or anything, just plop that ceramic goo on there. The standard one works fine for the everyday user.

Ryan

Its recommended that you have some Thermal Paste on there, but it isn't absolutely necessary. I had an older PC that I overclocked, but didn't use Thermal Paste on and the load temps reached 56°C-57°C. Thats not quite dangerously high, but it made me uncomfortable.

I hate thermal pads. When I build PC's for people, even just a simple basic PC, I remove the pads and put on AS5. Regardless of OCin' or not. It just works 10 times better then anything.

I put AS5 on a HP with a crap celeron and the idle temps went from 34C to 28C, even with a small HS & Fan.

I plan on not putting AS5 on mine because I'm not going to overclock for a while. And once I do I want an aftermarket heatsink and don't want to have to bother cleaning all the crap off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom