Partition of hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

cattlegrid_79

Solid State Member
Not strictly a Windows question, but couldn't find a more suitable section to post in.

I have just purchased a new laptop which is running XP Home. It has an 80gb hard drive that has been partitioned into C: and D: and the split is 50/50 size-wise. It appears that there is no data on D: and all the OS etc is on C:

Is this the best way to have it? Should I be looking to run programs from C: and store data and files etc on D:? I know nothing about partitioning so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Usually everything is on C. If you really had a reason to partition it, it would be for installing another OS (like Linux), so you can have both OSes loaded on your new laptop.

make sure the D: doesn't contain your "Restore Disc". Some new laptops/Desktops don't come with restore discs anymore... you have to actually create them yourself with the provided programs. If this is the case, make sure you do - you'll have a heck of a time trying to get the manufacturer to send you a hard copy of your restore partition!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom