I Don't know what to do with 1300$

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrZucchiniHead

Daemon Poster
Ok i decided to save up money my parents give me and what my dad is giving me for helping build his new building behind our house. i did the math and it came out to about another 300$ but i dont know what to do with it i was thinking about a dual core opteron 165 with a 19" CRT monitor, instaed of an opty 146 and a 17" monitor. I was also thinking about water cooling and that i could just upgrade my CPU later when conroe cores come out (when are they coing out anyway?) but then i would also have to get a different mobo and a diferent CPU cooler.

What would be a better idea

Water coooling with an opty 146, and 19" monitor or opty 165 with a 19"crt or 17" LCD?

Opteron 165 with the CRT monitor. It's not your electric bill and CRT's are the best for gaming ;)

165 and an LCD you can afford. Those opties don't even need water cooling unless you're really trying to find it's maximum.

Ryan

That's true, but you can find a CRT of the same quality as it's LCD counterpart, for half as much usually.

If space isn't an issue the CRT is a fine idea.

I'd actually reccomend waiting for Conroe+965 or AM2+DDR2 overall though, only about 3-5 months away at most. You'll be glad you waited.

Brtnboarder495 said:
That's true, but you can find a CRT of the same quality as it's LCD counterpart, for half as much usually.

If space isn't an issue the CRT is a fine idea.

I'd actually reccomend waiting for Conroe+965 or AM2+DDR2 overall though, only about 3-5 months away at most. You'll be glad you waited.

Actually should be 7-8 months for conroe. AND AM2 won't be much of an improvement.

Conroe is due out Q3, that's 5 months at a minimum. Intel originally planned for a Q4 release, but pushed it forward. I'd say 7 months at the latest.

I reccomended AM2 because then your motherboard is futureproof, the CPUs are more power effective, and then you don't have to buy new DDR2 memory and get rid of your DDR stuff. Plus, AM2 is less than 3 months away.

wait, is AM2 a socket type? and also i heard the new AM2 proccesors dont even compare to Intel Conroes? would it be better just to wait for the conroes instead of rushing and getting the new AM2s? im confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom