HDD power up failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittboy

Solid State Member
I have recently installed a P4 motherboard (1.7ghz) and when my PC is switched on, the HDD fails to power up. The HDD comes from a AMD based PC, so I know that it won't boot, but I can't understand why it doesn't power up ... I have tried a different HDD from a Pentium based PC and the same problem occurs ... can anyone help ????? Thanks

do you literally mean it dont power up or you mean that the bios dont identify it and it does power up? , is the hd the only device on the ide cable or you also got another hd or optical drive on it?

I have tried disconnecting the DVD & CD drive, so thet the HDD is the only drive connected to the PSU. The PC starts to boot & gets as far as completing the memory test ... it then can't find the HDD due to it not powering up ... the leads are definately connected but it simply doesnt start up .

do you hear a single click from the hd when you power up? also touch it do you feel it spinning? get into the bios and if you have a thing called "ide hdd auto detection" use it and see if it detects it if it does then apply and save settings that should resolve the issue , the other hd you tried was it working fine before? and if it was then how long ago did you actually see it workin well?

I cant say that I did hear a single click, but both hard drives are currently working fine in two other PCs (one of the HDDs is in this PC that I am using now) It is definately not spinning ... I have already tried your suggestion in the bios setup and it didnt detect the drive.

let me see if i got this right , so your saying that both of the hds worked fine just a little while ago in other pcs but now you got one of em connected to the pc you got issues with and you dont feel it spinning when you touch it after the pc is powered on?

YES !!!! It is as simple as that !!! The HDDs are both fine ... the cables and PSU are all brand new ... The HDD is simply not powering up !!! HELP !!!!

do they STILL work in other pc's? could be something on the HDD, even tho seems unlikely, but if the post freezes, that makes me think it could also be the controller or jumper settings.

when dealing with computers you gotta have alot of patience , anyway it can be the psu regardless to the fact its new it might be a generic cheapo crap or with too low amps , get into the bios and goto pc health/hardware monitoring and report back with the voltages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom