RAID 0 or Raptor

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole RAID 0 crash risk...is it real? I mean is a HDD failure actually iminent with RAID 0? Or is it just spooky becuase if one goes they all go. Thats not really and increased risk then, that just means there's more on the line. If you put your data into harms way thats stupid, not risk. If RAID 0 is more prone to failure than reg hdd setups, than thats increased risk. Does that make any sense?

Risk = high chance of the failure (regardless of how much is lost etc etc)

Well, its as safe as the hard drives it uses. With two hard drives, you essentially double the chance of a failure. Personally, I have never experienced a hard drive dying on me. But in RAID 0, if one fails, you basically lose both of them. All the data is lost for good. You would have to reformat the working drive to use it.

Nice...I have more confidence in RAID 0 then...The spooky part is simply

"IF it does" = OUCH

not

"IT WILL"

I heard that you can use a hard drive that is not set on Raid 0 for backup to reduce your chances of loosing your information.

I was going to RAID 0 two 74GB Raptors but changed my mind after learning the BS involved does not out weigh the hassle (at least for me). So I ended up getting the 74GB Raptor for the OS and Utilities and the 150 GB Raptor for the games and my graphics programs and it runs great. (been up for 30 hours as I just finished the new build.

Wow, a 74gig and 150 gig raptor. It is much more cost effective to just get the 74GB raptor and a 250 or 300GB 7.2k RPM drive. You only need the extra speed that a raptor offers when using loading windows, some applications and games.

i have one 74 gig and a 37 gig raptor. i first had them set up in RAID 0, but i just ended up using the 74 gig. there is really no need in that much space. it is super fast loading apps and games and its also quiet (same as any other drive). so unless you have oodles of games and apps, just get one 74 gig raptor

Vybuni said:
You only need the extra speed that a raptor offers when using loading windows, some applications and games.

Exactly. And since I don't like running games and Creative Suite from my OS drive, that is why I opted to get the 150 Raptor. I wanted the space and the speed.

If I was using the 150 Raptor for mass storage, than yes it would be a waste of money. But I'm not, so there.:p

im running 2x160 Seagate Sata150 in RAID 0, and i've had them fail before, but only once. But i have all of my valuable data on a seperate pata HD. the only reason i bought those 2 sata drives was becasue i got them for $40/piece at fry's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom