XP PRO retail vs. OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

cliffhucker

In Runtime
I know alot has been posted on this topic but it seems as though the factors are always changing and I wanted to try to get a current consensus on the topic.

I am building a brand new system. I have everything picked out except for muy OS and Case!
I want XP PRO (NON upgrade)

What makes the retail version better?

I have read that with the retail version u can reuse it if you change mobo's etc and w/ OEM u cannot.
I have also heard that now u cant even reuse the retail version.

What if I f@*%Up my install or want to reinstall a few times testing partions etc. is one version better than the other in these instances?

What if I put my new system together and find that nothing works right after a week, month etc. would I beable to change mys sytem (mobo, CPU etc) and reuse the OEM version?

(why is this so cheap)?
Is this XP PRO not an actual rull retail version and just a license to use in addition to an existing paid for version?http://www.edirectsoftware.com/product.php?product_id=16134

Again, I am trying to sort this out but have decided to post.

Thanks to anyone for replying some helpful info!

CH

i've got xp pro oem version. oem just means original equipment manufacturer.i've upgraded from intel to amd and moved xp to my new box without a problem. all you have to do is reactivate xp . you can have it on only 1 pc at a time. beats buying it retail. dont need the pretty box and all that junk.

Retail vs OEM

ibbonkers.

Have you done your swap recently? When?

I have heard that and many other things. And it all seems to be chronologically depoendent.

I do not care about the box or manual etc.

Thanks for your input

Well some OEM's are tailored to a specific make or model. So you could run into trouble with the OEM not hainvg the drivers needed for you hardware.

That is why Reatil is suggested for a homemade system over a OEM. As OEM is cheaper it could cause issues when installing.

As for the other comments by ibb that is now considered illegal by M$ standards.

As you know, this type of license is distributed by an Original Equipment Manufacturer (a person or company who builds and sells computers) and can only be used on one computer. Up until now, the owner of such a license has been allowed to change a number of components, any of them, without having
to purchase a new one.
Microsoft has redefined the concept of computer and has reduced it to the motherboard, which means that a newly acquired motherboard requires a new license for the operation system.

The full article here.

OEM vs RETAIL

Makaveli213,

So,

Not that I like spending more $$$ but I'm not poor, would it save some possible future headaches?
Would you go for a retail version or an OEM personally?

I was looking at this
http://www.edirectsoftware.com/product.php?product_id=16134

And it wasnt clear as to wether it was OEM or not so I emailed the site and got this reply:

"Hello,
The software is exactly the same as a retail version. The only exception is that you get a better price but no manual. If you have any further questions do not hesitate to contact me.

Thankyou

Alex

eDirectSoftware"

Is he full of it or what?

thanx Mak.

Is that you in the picture? ur hot for a computer geek.

Okay some OEM are not tailored. They are just sold in bulk to some manufacturers that then turn aroudn adn sell them. they are not all necessarily set up for a specific system. I have used many OEM versions to install a OS on systems before without any issues.

So a OEM could do just fine. Just make sure it wasnt from a Dell or HP system. Those are tailored for those systems. Other than that they should be fine.

The one you are looking at should so the trick just fine. But as i just stated a OEM not from Dell and HP can also work. I would suggest asking if this was from a specific manufacturer just to be sure you dont run into issues.

As for the Avy....no that is Adriana Lima. ;)

swap was done 2 months ago called up microsoft told them my old board fried and that the copy was only on this pc and they activated it for me. I have the oem version off of newegg not from dell or hp. I've got 6 pc's (Mine , Wifes, and Kids) all running xp and all having gone through major upgrades at one time or another with never a problem from microsoft.

P.S. just to clarify each pc has it's own disk and all are oem (Dells and HP's are forbidden here :) )

XP PRO OEM

ibbonkers,

Thank u for your replies.

I think I will go with the OEM and not worry about it.

What do you think the chances are of a getting a Dell or HP OEM copy from a retailer?

I know I'd be safe buying from NewEgg ($146.95) but what do you think about this retailer($114.99)
http://www.edirectsoftware.com/product.php?product_id=16134

Do you think its the same thing? It shows two disks, is one SP2? You think It would be better to just buy from NewEgg since I'm buying all my system components from them and they are reliable?

Thanks again

I'd go with newegg personally, since you are buying all else from them. Never dealt with edirect software but neweggs customer service has been good on the time or 2 I needed it.

New Egg

ibbonkers,

Yes, I agree. I think the piece of mind is worth the possible $32 savings.

And I haven't even looked at the shipping factors. Since I am buying tons of stuff from New Egg, My shipping should be negligible for the software.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom