Hard-Drive Questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cell567

In Runtime
Ok i have a few questions about hard-drives. One being what does sata mean and why is it an advantage to have. Second, what does the rpm stand for and what does it help or what is its puprose on an hd. Also is it true if i had for example a 120GB sata hardrive and i used 60GB of it ( which I would like not get close to most likley) will my whole system slow down? Thanks for all replies and views.

Perhaps this will help you with the definition of "what is SATA?"

Its NOT a WWW. address but cut and paste the address into your internet browser and it goes. (i tried it myself.)

whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0%2C%2Csid9_gci911952%
2C00.html

As for RPM, I always thought it meant revolutions per minute.

And for using 1/2 of the hard drive, It is my opinion that you would not notice a difference in computer speed.
My other advice on this would be to get a hard drive with an 8Mb buffer if yopure in the market.

rounds=revolutions

it means the same thing!

my metaphor was referring to his question about filling half his hard drive with data.

Heh. In all the places i've been reading about hard drives they've called it "Rotations Per Minute".

It IS all the same thing though. ;)

cell567 said:
Ok i have a few questions about hard-drives. One being what does sata mean and why is it an advantage to have. Second, what does the rpm stand for and what does it help or what is its puprose on an hd. Also is it true if i had for example a 120GB sata hardrive and i used 60GB of it ( which I would like not get close to most likley) will my whole system slow down? Thanks for all replies and views.

I dont think filling a 120GB HD to half its capacity will slow down system performance much. It will slightly, yes, but not enough to notice.

The higher RPM means the HD can access information faster. A 7200RPM HD is going to assess much faster than a 5400RPM HD.

Ares said:
Heh. In all the places i've been reading about hard drives they've called it "Rotations Per Minute".

It IS all the same thing though. ;)

RPM's = Rotations Per Minute
RPM's = Revolutions Per Minute
RPM's = Rounds Per Minute

All the same thing, really. Just different names.

cell567 said:

SATA = Serial ATA. Its a different type of cabling that provides faster (marginally) data transfer.

RPM = Has been covered already. Means Revolutions per Minute and the faster the disk spins the quicker it reads information.

A 120GB hard drive would not slow down your "whole system" when filled halfway. Theres a chance for minimal HARD DRIVE slowdowns which can be avoided by properly maintaining your drive (sector scans, defrags etc).

all three do mean the same thing, but in hard disk technical terms it is revolutions per minute , not rounds or rotation.

winxp requires a minimum free disk space of 200MB on any given volume, anything less will slow down the operating system. so NO, filling a hard disk partition halfway will not slow it down on your 120GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom