Sub-$1000 PC (with monitor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CompTech7

Beta member
I am on a mission to build a decent gaming PC with a take home budget of less than $1000

Here are the components I have so far and I want to leace it to this great community to help me trim the fat and get the best bang for my buck.

All items are priced from newegg.com

Case - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW - $49.99
Power Supply - Rosewill RP500 ATX 500W - $59.99
Motherboard - MSI K8N Neo4-F Socket 939 - $80
Processor - AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice - $159
System Memory - A-DATA Vitesta 2GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) - $144.38
HDD - Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB 7200 SATA - $75.00
DVD Burner - LITE-ON 16X DVD�R DVD Burner - $53.99
DVD ROM - SONY Black IDE DVD-ROM - $20.99
Video Card - connect3D 3038 Radeon X800GTO - $169.99
Sound Card - AOpen Cobra AW870LP - $27.95
Monitor - Rosewill R912E Black 19" 8ms LCD Monitor - $259.99

Total (w/ S/H) - $1157.00

Any ideas??

If you want to bring the price down, you can easily decrease your RAM to 1GB.
also, I would change the western digital HD for a Sygate. They are practically the same price, and sygate is more reliable.

Keep the WD. There's little to no difference between their reliability, so the most of us have seen.

About the X800 family---don't. The Geforce 6800GS is only a few dollars more and will perform much better. You don't need two gigs of RAM right now, so that will cut a significant hunk out of your price.

You may also find that onboard sound will do just fine for you. If it doesn't, you should probably save up and get a better sound card than the one you picked.

If looks don't matter much to you, you can always go with a Fortron 450W powersupply for around the same price - more reliable and well known. Rosewill is like an offbrand - like Madcatz of gaming more or less.
Also I agree you don't need 2Gigs right off the bat. I'd say move it to one gig - maybe get Corsair Valueselect if you aren't going to OC. And later on if you think you need it, go for another gig.
I also agree on the 'no' vote for the X800. Go for a 6800GS - better drives, more reliable, and an all around better card.

i dont know where you guys got your info but the X800 is definately a better card, runs circles around the 6800, anyway get either whatever you can get at the best price. i agree on memory, gaming and windows performance wont increase much between 1gig and 2 really you would only need that for high end video editing and you wuold use a mac for that or for a server and you r cpu is not a server cpu. cut the memory drop the sound card and you will be at $1001.13 its a little over but i dont think that matters.

Read a benchmark such as this, zmatt
http://www.vr-zone.com.sg/?i=3012&s=1

The only time(s) the X800GTO did better was once in Serious Sam 2 (Who's going to play that anyway..) in one resolution, and when it was overclocked and unlocked more pipelines.
Overall the 6800GS is better - not significantely, but better.

Fear-4xAA8xAF.gif

only x800 cards worth getting are the x800xl, x800xt, x800gto2

the first 2 are higher priced so probably not very good value. but hte x800gto2, especially recently, they all come unlocked right out of hte box, and a simple overclock, and you've got yourself an x850xt p.e... try to convince yourself a 6800gs is better than a x850xt p.e.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom