1600x1200 CRT or 19" LCD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyV04988

Fully Optimized
Hey, I want to get a new monitor for my new pc in June. What is better you think?

A 19" 12x10 LCD or a 20" 16x12 CRT? I want sharp gaming but an LCD at 16x12 is almost non existant. Is the 16x12 worth it?

I wouldn't get a 19" LCD for gaming because you can only play games on 12x10 resolution and looks like crap on 10x7. If you want LCD you really should go with a 17" LCD. But I would get a CRT over LCD unless desk space is an issue. I like CRTs for bigger screens and can play on any resolution without looking like crap, plus you get 16x12+ resolutions on them and not have to spend a ton of money of them.

19" LCD definately. CRTs may give you a higher resolution, but thats all you get. Their image quality is significantly worse, its bad for your eyes, it takes up an ungodly amount of space, and it looks bad. With LCDs, there's the usual space saving feature built-into them, then there's the awesome image quality. And if you get a decent one, ghosting/blurring isn't a problem.

Basically, no reason not to go with a LCD. 1280x1024 looks beautiful, and 19" is huge once you get to see it in person. 1600x1200 may be starting to become accepted, but its still a ridiculous resolution that you need a top-of-the-line card to play at. And judging from my old CRT, it doesn't look that much better than 1280x1024...you barely ntice it and its not worth all that you sacrifice when you get a CRT.

I notice no difference in image quality from newer CRTs then LCDs, I go to LAN parties all the time and I see hardly any difference from my friend's 21" CRT and my other friend's 17" LCD. You can go 19" LCD over 17" LCD but your going to sacrifice turning down game settings on new games (like UT2007) instead of putting it on 1024 x 768 with better settings. Beside 17" is fine for gaming. Unless you don't have much space on your desk get a nice CRT over a 17" LCD. I guess it's just me but my eyes don't strain on CRTs any different then when I use my brothers LCD. You can get a good 19" CRT with 19x14 maximum resolution for around 180 dollars.

My eyes, on the other hand, start to bleed when I use a CRT. Screw that, I don't want lasers shooting at my eyes, kthx.

No more being stuck in the past for me, DOWN WITH CRTs.

Green Radience said:
My eyes, on the other hand, start to bleed when I use a CRT. Screw that, I don't want lasers shooting at my eyes, kthx.

No more being stuck in the past for me, DOWN WITH CRTs.
You can allways buy quality CRT with more than 60 Hz, eg 120 - 200 Hz. ;)

LCD advatages are, that they are thin, take less power and you need them to be in.

I don't see myself ever getting a LCD screen only due to always having to have them at their native resolution. An expensive LCD will match the quality of the CRT but do you really want to spend all that extra for the same quality?

I plan to get another IIYAMA 19" monitor to go with my 22" IIYAMA one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom