video card problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cannonarm

Beta member
Hey guys i've posted this thread a couple times but i haven't been able to really get anything fixed.

I'm running a 2.6 pentium 4, with a 128 mb GeForce 5200 fx, Soundblaster live, with 512 mb of Ram. Its a dell model if that means anything with xp.

i've noticed a very horrenduous slowdown in the graphics of all my games. Its not just halo, but minor games like big game hunter (just to test), and counterstrike. Unless i run slowest setting on CS it works but the rest of my games won't work even with the lowest setting possible. Heres everything i've done.

Reseated the card
dled all the drivers, uninstalled them and reinstalled them.
made sure no applications were running in background
defraged and scanned
i cleaned up my registry
i called tech support and got a new card but i'm still having the same problems

i've talked to numerous tech support people but as soon as i tell them its about game problem they hang up, as if computers aren't supposed to be used for games. I receive very little help because Dell won't support games even if i bought my machine for that very purpose.

If anyone knows anything that could help i'd love any feedback.

P.S. I read in another forum you should make sure the bios setting is set to the right AGP speed. I checked my BIOS for this but only noticed it was set to agp or pci which it was AGP already set. My card is AGP 8x. IN the bios it said video buffer overrun was only 1mb. Should i change that to 8mb ?

You havent OCed the card before.

My board will let me select 128 up to 256.You sure that isnt in your bios also.Is another setting asking something like check PCi or AGP first.

Did you have another card before this card.Maybe some conflicting driver's.

Do you got DX 9b and all the other stuff microsoft likes you to have.

Some manuf just update.You might need to have the driver's off the orginal disk then update from there website.Not sure nvidia is that way.

In games sometimes your soundcard mess's you up but seem's like your video is doing it.id try and run soem with out your sound card.

How did you clean up your registry.Do you have any ! points on any of your hardware.Does your card run movies and Clip's at normal speed's.How many stick

Just soem stuff to try.Id go along with gameguru and refomat and install.

I just doubled my virtual memory and it didn't help.
I haven't overclocked my card mainly because i don't really know how lol. I have the latest directx. I'd really prefer not to reformat my computer mainly because well who wants to do that. Some clips run fine and some don't.

I Definitely wouldn't Format your Drive. I had similar issues because of my Soundblaster Live Card on Certain Games. I think one suggestion was to turn off the EAX Function within Live. Check Soundblasters Site for support or maybe just remove the card & try it with On-board sound if your Mobo Has it. I finally gave up on Soundblaster & Just use the On-Board sound now. Works just fine for Me. Just my 2 cents worth Dude!

This may sound kind of strange, but with my ATI video card, even though it was a 8x card in an 8x slot, it started at 4x, and I had to change it in windows by going to display properties. I don't remember the name of the tab I had to click, and I'm at work instead of home.

I know, ATI instead of NVidia, but it's something to check. Also, I've got Win 2000 instead of XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom