Windows xp and removing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Origin

Baseband Member
okay. my girlfriends computer has so much spyware and has become so slow it just can't handle it. it has 128 mb ram and the processor probably isn't too good. but i was wondering. before i do reformat it is there anything we can do to get this thing to run like it did when i first hooked it all up? ive tried adaware and spybot but they find the stuff but it simply doesn't feel faster.

if there isn't anything i can do i wanted to reformat. it seems though that my girlfriend has misplaced the certificate of authenticity and i now don't have the code to reload xp. also, i can't even format this computer. it doesn't have a floppy disk so that i can use a 98 boot disk. anyone have some suggestions? just wanted to help her out a little.

Origin said:
it seems though that my girlfriend has misplaced the certificate of authenticity and i now don't have the code to reload xp. also,

One of the reasons my I have invested in a CD Labeling Pen so I can right all my OEM numbers down on my orginal CDs.

Legally, you are covered as you still have the CD (don't quote me on that), but I am not sure about getting your OEM number back via MicroSHAFT.

You might want to look in the registry and find your OEM number there. Not sure where to look at I have never done that with Win Xp yet.

hey thanks for the replies. ill have to buy one of those pens and just copy all my girlfriends and my stuff down. that way we have some back up. thanks for the help. keep the help coming

Navigate the registry to the following key ...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

In right pane, look for key by the name "ProductId". This is your Windows Product Id :)

*The above applies to xp & 2k ...

for 98 & me ...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

if ur not comfortable navigating the registry i can email u a tiny utility(32KB) that will display it for u.

Origin said:
hey thanks for the replies. ill have to buy one of those pens and just copy all my girlfriends and my stuff down. that way we have some back up. thanks for the help. keep the help coming

It's a good practice to get into as disks are little easier to replace as appose to OEM Liencing information.

I get at least one phone call a month where some one is claiming they lost there product id and they are wondering if I can give them one over the phone.

For all I know, they could be some one working for the B.S.S.A. on some sting operation with a tape recorder.

wow thanks guys. you have been very helpful. as for asking for the id i definately understand your view and can see how you could get in trouble very easily. and thanks for the help to find my id. ill probably try and receive it tonight when i run over to her house. also, is there any way i can restart into ms-dos like you would do on 98 in xp? if i could simply do that i could easily reformat this comp, but i don't see where i can. or can someone explain how to boot and then read off the cd first? hope im not making this more confusing than it has to be. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom