Bad BIOS checksum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harmonicsa

Solid State Member
So I had a problem where my computer would POST and then go straight to a blank screen with a cursor in the top left. I think because I changed some graphic settings to "Internal VGA" caused it, because I couldn't even get into BIOS setup, just the blank screen. I have this barebones. I recently (about 2 months ago) put this computer together from newegg. 1gb ValueSelect Corsair memory, Western Digital 80GB SATA HD, and a Intel Pentium 4 630 Prescott 800MHz FSB 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 EM64T Processor.

Anyways, everything was running fine and when I wake up one morning the computer is stook in a continuous reboot cycle. I get a screen that says:

"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change may have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to power failure or because the Power or Restart button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration

Start Windows Normally

Use up and down arrows to highlight your choice."

I couldn't get into Windows. After I tried any of the options it would just reboot and come back to that screen. So I put in Win XP CD to try to repair install of format or something. After about 2 minutes of installing drivers at the beginning of the Win XP CD it blue screen stop errors with 0xA (0x0000000A). At this point I wasn't sure what to do so I took it up to a pc repair shop. After a few days they told me the HD was bad because they hooked it up to a pc as a slave and tried to acces the HD and it wouldn't show up. So I order a replacement HD under warranty, get it, and put it in. I try to install Win XP and I get another blue screen stop error except this time with 0x7E (0x0000007E). The blue screen error says gives advice to disable shadowing and caching so I go try and do this in BIOS. I cant find an option for shadowing anywhere but I see one that has the word caching in it and disable it. I also changed one of the grphic options to "Internal VGA" thinking maybe it had something to do with a PCI-Express x16 video card I recently had but returned. After I rebooted and saved changes I got the blank screen problem and couldn't even get back to BIOS setup. I tried to flash the BIOS and the mobo has something called "Ez Flash BIOS" where you copy a .rom file to a floppy and during POST press F2, insert floppy, and it reinstalls the BIOS or something like that. I do this and reboot and it comes back to a screen that says this:

"Intel(r) 915G/915GV/910GL PCI Accelerated SVGA BIOS
Build Number: 3402 PC Dev 08/23/2004 13:03:07
DECOMPILATION OR DISASSEMBLY PROHIBITED
Copyright (c) 2000-2003 Intel Corp. All Rights Reserved.

Boot Block Compatible Version Ver.002
Bad BIOS checksum. Starting BIOS Recovery...
Checking for Floppy...
Floppp not found!
Checking for CD-ROM...
CD-ROM found.
Reading file "P5G6T.ROM". Completed.
Start Erasing... |
Start Programming... \

Please turn off your system and power on again to get system back."

When I reboot the system it comes back to the screen above and goes through the process again. It does this over and over. I tried resetting cmos jumpers with the manual, followed the instructions and rebooted and it came back to this screen again. I'm at a loss for what to do here.

P.S. The barebones came with a CD that has the .ROM file on it so thats what I used.

I read the post on resetting BIOS. It says when doing the jumpers to siwtch to pins 1 and 2. In my case they are on 1 and 2 and to reset I switch to pins 2 and 3. The manual told me to take out the battery, switch the jumpers, wait 10 seconds, switch jumpers back and power on computer. This conflicts with what the post says. IT says to take out jumper and place on other pins, nothing about taking out battery. Power on the computer with jumper in reset mode? My manual didn't say to do that? Then turn off computer and put jumpers back in right position. Should I try what the post suggests or just do what my manual says?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom