Quick OC advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Each CPU has its own temps. A Barton is totally different from a Venice. I think 58C idle is too hot. My Palomino 1600+ is about 48C idle and 55-58C under load.

Ok well I have just mounted the biggest, loudest, most powerful fan you have ever heard tell of onto my CPU and these are the new temps...

Temperatures
Motherboard 20 °C (68 °F)
CPU 48 °C (118 °F)
Aux 32 °C (90 °F)
GPU 36 °C (97 °F)
GPU Ambient 33 °C (91 °F)
WDC WD740GD-00FLC0 22 °C (72 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 2009 RPM
Power Supply 757 RPM

Ignore the CPU fan speed here as thats actually one of my CHassis fans, the fan I mounted on the CPU as too high a current draw to connect to the mobo header as it would blow the power bus.

Anyway, Can I overclock it now?

wow, thats the d*mn sahara! i thought my prescott was hot, are you willing to invest some money in a heatsink/watercooling? if u overclock it is still going to be really hot, and thats probably not the best idea

Well i'm pretty sure these chips are supposed to run hot, my friends T-bird runs at 65+ idle.

Does anyone actually have any experiance OCing a XP chip? I'm quite happy for it to run upto 70C so I think theres plenty of give.

MrCoffee said:
Ok well I have just mounted the biggest, loudest, most powerful fan you have ever heard tell of onto my CPU and these are the new temps...

Temperatures
Motherboard 20 °C (68 °F)
CPU 48 °C (118 °F)
Aux 32 °C (90 °F)
GPU 36 °C (97 °F)
GPU Ambient 33 °C (91 °F)
WDC WD740GD-00FLC0 22 °C (72 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 2009 RPM
Power Supply 757 RPM

Ignore the CPU fan speed here as thats actually one of my CHassis fans, the fan I mounted on the CPU as too high a current draw to connect to the mobo header as it would blow the power bus.

Anyway, Can I overclock it now?

Your CPU fan isn't running at high enough RPMs.

Dude, did you actually read my post? let me paint a picture for you, the Fan I have on my CPU is spinning at 5700RPM with an output of 80.1CFM.

Anyway, I'm getting a new heatsink as suggested, a copper heatpipe thermaltake jobbie. Will post back once its in.

charles_scott said:
Just invest in a better heatsink, please.

done and done:

sb.jpg

Heres my new idle temps:

Motherboard 23 °C (73 °F)
CPU 45 °C (113 °F)
Aux 36 °C (97 °F)
GPU 38 °C (100 °F)
GPU Ambient 36 °C (97 °F)
WDC WD740GD-00FLC0 28 °C (82 °F)

The CPU goes upto about 48-50C under load and I think thats as good as i'm going to get with air cooling.

My temps were the same as yours. I had my mobo replaced day before yesterday and now my CPU idles at 47*C down from 52*C. Wierd.

What do you use to check the 'load' temps while running an app?

Well i'm not sure how acurate the temp sensors are so I wouldn't be surprised to get variation from one mobo to another.

For the load temp I just ran Prime95 and watched Everest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom