Basic, word processing and movie playing pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

john3

Banned
my cousin wants a cheap pc that can play movies, songs, and word processing. im thinking of an intel CPU but im not sure which brand will give me bang for buck. and motherboard i have no CLUE which would suffice for the mentioned purposes. Im thinking of getting a flat lcd monitor, response time doesnt matter, just decent res and contrast. speakers...well just regular speakers, im sure a integrated sound card would suffice. regular mouse and keyboard. i think a shuttle would suffice, not sure she would need mid tower or nething.

Plz see if these are compatible, or if i spent too much on a part i didnt need, cause shes only using it for word, and watch movies.

case-IN-WIN Z ( ne good?)
Optical Drive- BenQ DQ60 DVD+RW
CPU-Amd Athlon 64 3000+
speakers-Altec Lansing 120i 2.0
Monitor-Acer AL1716B
Ram-kingston 1gb ddr ram
Key/mouse-Logitech Cordless Desktop LX 700
HD-Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 80GB
MOBO-Asus A8N VM Socket 939 nF4 mATX

How is it?

total...$977 CDN, is there any other way i can lower the cost?

Really, IMHO, there is NO NEED for Intel unless you are doing multimedia (and even then, you should probably be using a Mac, or even an Opty...)

She doesn't need a sound card; integrated will do fine. That mobo may be a little much for her needs. You can always take the money you saved on those two things and channel them into getting a better harddrive and more RAM.

Also, what is your budget?

I would lose that vid card and mobo and get this instead:

ASUS A8N-VM Socket 939 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard -

Getting onboard video saves a nice chunk of money. Plus, if there is no gaming or little gaming done on the computer, then there really is no sense in getting a standalone vid card. You can use the saved money to get some extra RAM (especially since onboard video takes a little bit of it).

I use onboard sound with 5.1 speakers, and am impressed with the quality of sound I get.

budget has to be under $1000 CDN no higher, which includes tax.

i think that mobo would be good. is it good though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom