Grrrr Stupid Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam111316

Baseband Member
TOTAL STUFFED COMP (well i fixed most of the stuff)

Well it all began when my older brother went onto the comp.

He went on and supposedly got some of the ad-ware alerts telling him to block this "bad" products and he did that. Nex thing he calls me into the room and says the computer is TOTALLY stuffed.

So i went onto my account to see all the problems. 1st the computer "forgot" how to open exe and lnk(shortcut) files. So i managed to get onto the internet and get my browser(avant browser) working. i found on the net 2 registry files to fix from http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm then it fixed my problem after importing it into the registry .

Later i log on to the comp and i notice i cannot see any of the system tray icons(the ones by the clock) but the clock is there and the start menu. i also cannot move the taskbar or right click to go to the taskbar options. it is really annoying because most of my programs minimize to tray and i cant re-open them so i have to go the long way to re-open things.

Can anyone help me fix the system tray??? plz help

ps. i got windows home edition service pack 2

Check out this site here. It gives a few solutions to the missing tray icons. See if any of that will help.

already been to that site no help at all. probally coz im running SP2 and i cant access the toolbar options to do on of the settings off the site.

When ever something like that happened to me I find that even if you get the reg. fixes it is still not the same no mater what you do.
Did you computer come with an XP install disk? I am pretty shore not, Microsoft is charging computer companies less if they do not give a way the disks with the PC. But if you have one back you soft ware and wipe it. Frankly I love it; although itÂ’s not fore every one do a little research on Google. I do it at least once or twice a year actually I am doing it to my dell dimensions 4100 in the next room right now, well at the moment I am backing it up my Installs and documents to a external hard drive but I digress. You get a major boost in system performance it just like having a new computer! And once reinstall XP and Put all your programs back on use a program like Norton Ghost to make an image of you hard drive and just use that in the future (ThatÂ’s better because then you donÂ’t have to re-activate with Microsoft)

If you are not obsessive compoulsave disorder like me you donÂ’t have to do it every year but it makes a computer seem so much faster.

If you donÂ’t know ware every thing is you might loose some things but not much.
And next time password protect your administrator account so your brother canÂ’t screw you computer up.

What a long winded response, sorry!

well my computer has too much stuff to backup and restore windows xp (yes i do have the disk) coz i got like 80gig of data spread over 2 drives and lots of programs. i still dont even no wat half my programs can do.

oh and its an 'older' brother i am talking about not a younger. The thing is that we both have admin accounts and we each have passwords.

i think i might have to what you said because i just checked my task manager and it says i have 68 processes! is that a lot how many should there be on most peoples computers

ps there is like 7 of the process svchost. what is it??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom