Can you hook up a CD-RW to a Raid controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alibibassman

Solid State Member
I have an Epox m-board that has a Raid controller on it and I wondered if I could hook up my CD-RW to it.

You sure can, as long as you dont enable the RAID portion of it, they function as normal IDE controllers.

how do you do that? cause i have an abit kx7-333 raid board and i have my 2x 120 gig deskstars on my IDE 3 and 4, but when i try to put the dvd-rom drive or cdrw drive on the 3 and 4 it doesn't recognize the drives. not that i don't enjoy having a seperate channel for each of my devices :)

tom

Tom,

Don't configure the DVD or the CDRW drive on the 3 or 4 channel. You've got RAID set to work on those channels and thereforth the optical media won't work as you need 2 hard disk drives when configuring RAID. Put your DVD and or CDRW on channels 1 or 2 and leave your RAID set on 3 or 4. After doing this you should be able to have access to the optical media and still have your RAID.

jmosher

I should add that channels 3 and 4 will be the IDE2. Channels 1 and 2 will be IDE1. These are the positions where the Ribbon cable connects to the motherboard. Look on the board itself to see which one is IDE1 and IDE2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom