Dual Channel Ram Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

123Justin

In Runtime
How big of a performance difference is there between a gaming system that has 2x512mb value ram and one with 1gb value ram, does the dual channel totally own the 1gb? or is it a minimal difference that i won't notice....

Well, the dual channel effectively doubles your memory bandwidth, greatly minimizing the bottleneck created by the memory controller. I would say you would see an increase in performance. It is definately worth it to buy the 2 x 512

there is a big performance difference. i once tried my OCZ gold in single channel and then in dual channel with a run on SuperPi at 32m. i think it took 34 minutes with dual channel and 37-38 minutes with single channel. that is a significant difference seeing as i don't think SuperPi even relies very heavily on memory bandwidth

It'll boost performance. Not by twofold, but a big boost. On AMD 64 s939 setups, you have a theorhetical 6.4gb/s, but you really get something just above 5gb I think.

Ryan

okay...so what if i was thinking about adding another 1 Gb in the future? like somewhere near the end of this year. Should i STILL get the 2x512? or get the 1gb stick?

FghtinIrshNvrDi said:
It'll boost performance. Not by twofold, but a big boost. On AMD 64 s939 setups, you have a theorhetical 6.4gb/s, but you really get something just above 5gb I think.

Ryan

Well, it may not always give you double performance, but theoretically, it does give you double the bandwidth.

If you plan on upgrading to 2GB by buying another 1GB stick, then I would recommend buying a 1GB stick instead of the 512s.

What does "theoretically" mean?
I heard this said a lot

But i also have a question
I have 756mb RAM (512+256)
I really dont have a lot of money,
So should i upgrade and get 1.25 gb or upgrade to 1.0 gb
Or should i b fine the way i have

Specs:
6800gs
756mb RAM
Pentium4 HT Prescott 2.8 @3.0

SomeIranianKid said:
not to thread steal or anything if you do have the 2x512 sticks how do you tell they are in dual channel

It should say in CPU-Z.

alexsabree said:
What does "theoretically" mean?
I heard this said a lot

But i also have a question
I have 756mb RAM (512+256)
I really dont have a lot of money,
So should i upgrade and get 1.25 gb or upgrade to 1.0 gb
Or should i b fine the way i have

Specs:
6800gs
756mb RAM
Pentium4 HT Prescott 2.8 @3.0

Put another stick of ram in that system identical to the stick of 512 you have now. Sell the 256 after. Make sure your motherboard supports dual channel ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom