Internal Hard Drive Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKid06

Baseband Member
I am pretty new to computer hardware and im trying to build a computer lol :) but I wanted to know for best possible performance on a gaming rig..should I be looking at a single big hard drive or multiple smaller hard drives?

Get a pair of Western Digital Raptors and set them up for RAID0. Do a goole search on it! Basically what raptors are are super fast harddrives. Most hard drives spin at 7200 Rpms. Raptors spin at 10000 rpms. Now, RAID0 is a configuration that allows for half of the information on your harddrives to be stored on one harddrive, and half on the other. This way your computer can retrieve data twice as fast. Mixed in with an already faster spinning harddrive, youve got yourself the fastest data retrieval system you can buy!!!

Yeh, I heard about Raid 0. I also heard that if one of your hard drives fails while using Raid 0...you loose all your information. Is this true?

yes it is , therfore you shouldnt be using raid0 unless you have a third internal or external hard drive for backup purposes

Another question. Will the back up drives speed affect your systems performance or is it just there for back up?

TheKid06 said:
How would you set that up for the third drive to be backup?
with any backup software , theres alot of em personally i like good sync

TheKid06 said:
Will the back up drives speed affect your systems performance or is it just there for back up?
it wont affect system performance as the backup is gonna run at scheduled times only and not in real time (daily at a certain hour for example)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom