Would a P4 3.2GHz bottleneck with a 7900GT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
it translates roughly to an amd 3200 so i would say yes

is it dual core or single core??

then, i would say it will bottleneck it, but i am not completely sure since i own neither a P4 nor a 7900gt

Hogwash. I don't think it'll bottleneck it at all. The video cards are almost always the bottleneck of the system. Processors have much longer life cycles than video cards do.

Ryan

sry, let me make myself more clear, i assumed you were talking about gaming

in something graphics intensive like a modern game (F.E.A.R., bf2, etc...), a P4 3.2Ghz processor, a mid-range cpu, would not be able to keep with the 7900gt, the 4th fastest vid card on the market

On Anandtech Forums, there's a post about a guy with a OC'd 7800GT and a 3.0GHz P4. Concensus is that his processor is bottlenecking his videocard since his friend (who is a stock 7800GT and a 3500+) owns his FPS in NFS:MW. Similar systems.

Remember, a 3500+ will perform much better than a 3.5GHz P4 in a game.

7900GT and 3.2GHz P4? Bottleneck Galore. HT won't help in a game.

Its when one part of your system isn't good enough for another part. Like a Pentium 4 2.0Ghz and a GeForce 7900GTX. The 7900GTX will only run as fast as the P4 2.0GHz lets it run.

Bottlenecks happen to everyone. Chances are, your videocard is bottlenecking your processor in games right now. A 7900GTX still bottlenecks a AMD Athlon 64 3700+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom