Bet you can't help me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcgl0re1

Baseband Member
Catchy topic got you didn't it? Well guys/gals here is my pain. I have been working to get spyware and such off my computer. I have tried AdAware and Spyware Remover, both in safe mode and regular. I was looking to clean up my taskmanager and noticed I was running 4 svchost, so I go to massive soft and look it up. So then I use their way to look at your svchost files and what they are up, too (In the Open box, type CMD, and then press ENTER. Type Tasklist /SVC, and then press ENTER.) This listed the different programs using these services (svchost). Then I wanted to figure out what dnsclient was, so back to massive soft and sure enough there is a way to look inside of dnsclient (start->run type ipconfig /displaydns). Here is were the crap hit the fan. I have to have this runnig because I use a cable modem and it needs this service to change ip address, but there is a bunch of ad and BS in this file running with it! Check some of it out:

www.radiate.com
----------------------------------------
Record Name . . . . . : www.radiate.com
Record Type . . . . . : 1
Time To Live . . . . : 603955
Data Length . . . . . : 4
Section . . . . . . . : Answer
A (Host) Record . . . : 127.0.0.1

www.adserver.com
Record Name . . . . . : www.adserver.com

s12.sitemeter.com
Record Name . . . . . : s12.sitemeter.com

And this is just a small part of it!! Now according to massive soft I could get delete the entries in this file by typing ipconfig /flushdns at the command line (or run). THIS IS A LIE!! I tried it over and over again no result they are still there! So I thought maybee I can find something in the .reg file to get rid of these others I found this key:
(HKLM\currentcontrolset\services\dnscache

It does not help! There is no seperation you could use against these BS ads! I guess that leads me to my questions:

Does anybody know how to get rid of these entries in the dnsclient?
Or, does anybody know an ad removing program that will get rid of these?

specs: amd 1700+ athlon
Windows XP Pro SP1 (and I keep it up to date on the windows update in the help center)

I think that is all that would need to be known for this problem.

Hi This might help you

http://www.speedguide.net Go to this site and on the left column of the page theres 2 winXP tweak links the one that says more winXp tweaks has some info on ipconfig /flushdns and they have a patch for the regestry not to cache the ip addresses.Not sure if it will help but I have win XP pro and I dont have any problem with hidden files after I applied the patch.Hope it helps Pat S.
:cool:

Thank you for the idea. I went their and that is for negative cache entries. These come back because something is putting them there. any more idea.

ps I used the hacks anyway, and nice site. thanks

Scan the file with ADaware, and if not, the flushdns should work, funny that it isnt. Try running netstat and check if those ad connections do exist, and then I would try to ask your ISP for an IP change. Watch what you download, as you found out firsthand, lots of software has hidden extras.

Ok I had already said that I ran adaware, thanks anyway. I found the guilty program through some painstaking messures and erased it, so problem solved! Thank for your help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom