New RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpacyga

Banned
Hi, I have right now in my computer 2 256MB DDR 400 MHz RAM. I want to purchase 2 512MB RAM to have a total of 1.5 GB. However I wasn't sure if I have to buy DDR 400MHz or does it not matter? Like can I get any type, or does my motherboard only support a certain type, if so how would I find the type it supports? Thanks.

Yes you should get PC3200 (DDR400) and you should get the same Cas Latency as the RAM you already have.

DDR 400 is what a person that doesnt do overclocking should get , anything higher then 400 is just for overclocking headroom , buying a higher rated ram like DDR433 instead of DDR400 for example wont give you better performance if you dont overclock , however im not sure that you can still keep the ram running in dual channel mode if youll have 2x 256 + 2x 512 im not sure if its possible to have it in dual channel if their all not in same size , and since you have a p4 3.0ghz without dual channel ddr youll have a significantly lower performance

Just get the 2 512's and see how you like the 1ghz.
Then your dual channel will work fine.

with this program (get into "memory" tab)
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download425.html
and just to make it clear, JohnnyX meant that you should buy ram with same cas latency only if you plan on using 1.5. if your just gonna buy 2x 512mb and use them only then you dont really have to know whats the cas latency of your current ram , btw i suggest youll get a ram with at least 2.5 cas latency and to avoid compatbility problems check in the ram manufacturer site/motherboard manufacturer site and see if that specific ram has been tested working 100% on your motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom