Need some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garcia

Solid State Member
The other day I installed a Vista "patch" and it was good and all but i decided to remove it, i tried to uninstall it the way it told me to and it removed everything but the icons, so tried system restore, nothing, finally i repaired it using the windows xp cd and using the repair option and it was fixed, but now things have been acting diffrently, when i turn on my computer it gives me a "windows is loading settings" screen that i never had before, and it takes alot of time (about 4 mins) to finish loading.I can't hear anybody on my Ventrilo program, alot of programs crash on me and everything just runs really slow, some help would be appreciated, thanks.

I am guessing it was either a Vista Tranformation pack or something similar. Even thru the uninstalls they dont always uninstall correctly.

My best piece of advice for you is to try a repair install. See if that helps clear it up.

Yeah i did the repair install and it removed vista just like i wanted it, but then things just started acting diffrently, for example, when i try to open my control panel my explorer crashes.
EDIT: Oh and now my sound doesn't work either :confused:

Unfortunately it sounds as if your XP install got corrupted. If a repair install didnt work then there is only one thing left to do. Save all data you want to another source and format and reinstall XP.

Sorry but i know that isnt what you wanted to hear.

Yeah i guess i'll do that, thanks for the help though.
EDIT: I reinstalled my sound drivers and i get sound again, now the only problem that i have is that long loading screen i get when i first turn on my PC.

Start>Run>Msconfig>Startup Tab. Make sure only what you want to boot at startup is checked.

Ah ok thanks, but on the list i have about 4 that have no names, it's blank, what about those?

Look at the file path. That should give you a clue as to what they are. If they dont have a legit path, something like C:/Program Files......,then uncheck them. Or at least a path that you know from installing apps.

I would probably just uncheck them just to be sure.

Well i unchecked the unnecesarry ones but the "windows is starting up" screen still comes up and it still takes like 4 minutes to load, and i get the "virtual memory low" warning alot too recently, i guess my only option is to re-install xp again, well thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom