Ms-dos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armand-[79th]

Baseband Member
Erm.. does anyone know how to change the text colour on DOS?
I'm using Win98SE if thats of any importance... !?!

Oh.. to be specific, I want to make it green. :)

... without using a 20 year old green screen I have in the loft.

Does work on XP, but you can't get that properties screen on 98..
:(

I've been reading through the .txt files on Win98.
I'm assuming the text colour is determined by ESC codes.. ?!?!

Did you mean ASCII? Thats what you need to do. You can use that and change the colors to anything you want. I use to know how to do it, but I forgot. But, if you use it this way, you cant save it as the color for your command prompt all of the time. If you make a batch file, you can use the ASCII and save it and that will always work in the saved file.

all i have to do is type color at the command prompt, typing "color 0a" changes mine to green or type "color/?" for the full list. this is basic so i dunno how much u know about dos but hope it helps. ive never played with the properties to change it before i just do that

first off, there is no "color" command for dos :rolleyes:

you were right when you said you needed to use the ESC command ... hewres the list of attributes for changing dos parameters

Text Format
0 = Default Setting
1 = Bold
4 = Underscored(Monochrome only)
5 = Blinking
8 = Hidden

Text Color
30 = Black
31 = Red
32 = Green
33 = Yellow
34 = Blue
35 = Magenta
36 = Cyan
37 = White
7 = Black Text on White Background

Background Color
40 = Black
41 = Red
42 = Green
43 = Yellow
44 = Blue
45 = Magenta
46 = Cyan
47 = White
7 = Black Text on White Background

for example ... the following command sets a blinking text(5), appears red(31), against a blue background(44)
ESC[5;31;44m
parameter order isnt important, however each parameter must be separated by a semicolon.

One thing, make sure to use the ANSI set graphics mode escape sequence (m) to change screen attributes, it can have as many parameters as you like :)

Also there are commands for the dos prompt itself. The following command makes the drive and the dir in your prompt bold and blue, and the > becomes bold and red :)
prompt $e[1;34m$p$e[31m$g$e[0m

what do u think i just made it up? there is on mine sunsider, if u consider microsoft windows emulated version dos, look for yourself

Attachments

• nissan.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 280
ok neversleeps ....

since he posted it was a win 98se dos issue .. why would an enhanced xp version's commands be a viable option ???

didnt think so :|

first u said there wasnt a color command for dos which i and anybody else would take it to mean there isnt a color command for any version which is incorrect so telling all the other ppl reading this thread that there isnt, is wrong.

second i read his question and helped him the best i could with me having xp and not 98, it does no harm by him trying to use a color command if it isnt there on 98.

third quit bein an ass, i didnt have any negative remarks about ur post so i don see why u need to do it by blatantly saying i am wrong when im not about mine.

didnt think so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom